UpdateInTerminal opens very slowly

yes, eos-bash-shared-1.10.41-1 opens significantly faster

1 Like

also last version is faster …

I will move this to BUG reports… i am sure @manuel will join and fix this soon.

1 Like

All that have this behavior, please make sure that you have fully updated system.
If the slowness continues, you can try downgrading a package with e.g. eos-downgrade and see if it helps anything.

Then please report the exact version number of each package that affects the outcome.

Just a question - could it matter what terminal it is trying to open?

No delay here - but I stick to xfce4-terminal for simplicity and configurability (and drop-down).

1 Like

There might be a small difference between starting various terminals.
But the difference shouldn’t be a very big one I assume.

thank you!
best result w/ KDE … so far → eos-bash-shared-1.10.41-1

I, too, seem to have this delay when opening UpdateInTerminal from the welcome menu. I had not noticed this when I use it the way I normally use it, as I have UpdateInTerminal set up as an alias to update, so I open up my terminal and just type update.

On a side note, when I went to test this on my system and I learned a valuable lesson. I learned that EOS welcome is made for bash and not dash. Yesterday I had changed my bin/sh to dash and then today it wouldn’t open. I switched it back to bash, and it works again.

Yeah, many EOS apps are made using bash. I wonder if you still can use them under dash by calling them via bash, e.g.

bash eos-welcome
bash akm

and so on, making them as dash aliases if you wish.

I made some performance optimizations to UpdateInTerminal in eos-bash-shared 1.15-1.
Please try it and report if it helps with the performance.

To be honest, I would just be confusing my self, I just switched back to bash. I honestly didn’t notice any difference. It was more of a I seen a thing on the internet and wanted to try it type of situation. When it comes to shells and scripts, I am still very much a newb.

1 Like

I don’t have any delay with konsole on kde. I didn’t know what package would be the one affecting it. I suggested downgrading welcome because i wasn’t sure how UpdateinTerminal is configured. If it is part of eos-bash-shared then that makes sense. Not sure why it would be affecting only certain users.

1 Like

Some recent changes concerning mostly Welcome icons were included in eos-bash-shared, and because eos-bash-shared is a common “library” for many EOS apps, the changes affected unrelated apps as well. That made some EOS apps a bit slower than before.

But the new eos-bash-shared should fix this.

There are still some more stuff to do for performance, and I’m working on it.

2 Likes

I haven’t noticed any issues on any of my desktops, :thinking:

Your machine is so powerful that anything runs fast!

But if you want to see performance differences, user the time command, e.g.

time UpdateInTerminal     # with the old eos-bash-shared
time UpdateInTerminal     # with the new eos-bash-shared
time UpdateInTerminal     # with the new eos-bash-shared

real 0m6.564s
user 0m0.536s
sys 0m0.066s

time UpdateInTerminal     # with the old eos-bash-shared

real 0m13.950s
user 0m0.941s
sys 0m0.149s

Edit: Never noticed before any difference.

2 Likes

Looks like it helps! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.