Updateinterminal changed?

I made a launcher in plasma for updateinterminal (EOS app or script) but it stopped working sometime last week. :open_mouth: I get no error. I can run it through the welcome app though, so I know it still exists.

Did the name or location change? If so how/where, so I can fix the desktop file for the launcher. :thinking:

I think it should still work but it was deprecated some time back in favor of just using pacman, yay or paru.

That doesn’t answer my question. I can open the welcome app, and from either the “After Install” or “Assistant” tab click on “Update System (eos-update --yay)” and it launches and works as expected, but it used to launch from a separate launcher “UpdateInTerminal” in my launcher menu, and it’s still there, but doesn’t work.

To make it even easier (I use KDE Plasma): I installed the “Quicklaunch” widget and added it to my main panel, and copied the “UpdateInTerminal” launcher there, so I can just click on it and update the whole system. I also have many other often used apps in the Quicklaunch for easy one click access, and still want to do it that way, rather than navigating the menu, opening the Welcome app… or launching the terminal and typing in whatever commands are needed to do it the very same way.

The Quicklaunch takes up a lot less space than pinning a bunch of apps to the panel, and it’s easier to see which apps are running since I have no apps pinned to the panel, but rather in Quicklaunch which has smaller icons, and even allows for a popup should I have more launchers than it’s allotted space allows.

The depreciated UpdateInTerminal launcher points at:

Program: UpdateInTerminal
Command-Line Arguments: --nt

So those need to be changed to launch it just like the welcome app does if possible, or else I can make a separate bash script to do the same and point the launcher to it, but don’t know what to put in there since I am somewhat script illiterate.

I believe it’s different than just running

yay -syuu

because it checks and downloads any EOS specific keys first before updating the system, or am I wrong?

Do you have amd or intel?

Edit: This may or may not be related. But there was another topic. It was this one here. So i reinstalled a package and then it started working again.

I am on an AMD system, but that is completely irrelevant because as I said, updating the system via yay works through the welcome app just fine. So if the topic you pointed at is related, I cannot see how, nor see why you would think that after everything I wrote.

I guess i didn’t understand. I thought update in the terminal was tied in some how. :man_shrugging:

Well it is, but whoever made the Welcome app would be the one who can help me best. I looked into

/usr/share/endeavouros/scripts

and the bash script “welcome”, but it’s huge and I would have to have some advanced understanding of bash scripting to understand any of it, but I don’t.

I do know that it still has buttons to do the very same thing that the depreciated “UpdateInTerminal” launcher did, so I am sure it can be recreated as a bash script in my /home/USER/bin/ folder so I can still have it depreciated or not. I still have and use the gensyslogs.sh from Antergos, so I can generate all of the the needed system logs to a folder in my home folder in a single click, to use for troubleshooting.

I cannot see why such a convenient and useful launcher would be depreciated in the first place, in favor of doing it the hard way, unless the way it was done has changed so much it would be hard to fix. If someone doesn’t need it, then all they have to do is hide or delete it, and those who do use it keep and use it, no need to get rid of it altogether.

konsole --noclose -e yay

Replace konsole with terminal of your choice, make that your launcher. Which terminal do you use?

Well, if it is worth its salt, it should be different, because the command you have provided is wrong.

It should be:

yay
2 Likes

OK, just yay seems to work, so now all I have to do is edit the launchers (Desktop files).

I use Konsole. So what do the --noclose and -e options do?

I just ran yay, no options at all and it did everything as usual, nothing closed prematurely. The only difference is that after the updates were all done, I didn’t get the “Press Enter to close this window” dialog, and got the prompt instead and the terminal stayed open.

Run:

konsole --help-all

And you’ll get, among other options:

--hold, --noclose      Do not close the initial session
                         automatically when it ends.
  -e <cmd>               Command to execute. This option will catch all
                         following arguments, so use it as the last option.
3 Likes

Software changes all the time. Packages change. This happens on Arch all the time and every other distro. I don’t see using yay as doing it the hard way. On the contrary it’s easier because it checks for both pacman and AUR updates which is quite convenient. :innocent:

2 Likes

Well, You are basing that on my knowing that all one needs is to type in: yay and hit [enter]! If you have been paying attention, I just found that out! Had I known that, I wouldn’t be here trying to find all that out.

With all of the updating mirrors, needing the right and up to date keys, there being an additional repo for EOS specifically, and on top of that all the other apps involved like reflector… and that few apps would take care of all of that like yay does in as simple of a command, which is unusual in my limited experience, as I would expect it to need further instructions just as it does for many other procedures, and as most apps and commands do, and the only way it can, is by knowing some things in advance, and so is running off of a script specifically for EOS that I was obviously unaware of.

You know…one could say running Arch (or it’s derivates) means that you are somewhat of an advanced user and expected to know something of your environment.
One could…

1 Like

Since I am making a launcher (desktop file), and not typing it directly into terminal, and more specifically for KDE if that matters, I will make a bash script named “UpdateInTerminal” in my /home/USER/bin folder containing konsole --noclose -e yay, and using KDE’s interface to create the launcher and fill it out like this:

Program: UpdateInTerminal

Command-Line Arguments: (blank since they are in the script)

Also I believe the “-e” may be superfluous (not necessary) because I have other terminal commands in launchers that all run on launch automatically without it, some pointing to scripts that also do not include an -e, so may it be the case that KDE appends that automatically and runs it because it is a launcher after all?

and finally: how did the original after the updates were all done, give me the “Press enter to close this window” dialog, so I can include it in the script too, because it’s kinda’ cool?

There’s eos-update as a command line do it all updater script.

Just added eos-update.desktop file into eos-bash-shared package version 23.8-1.
It is similar to what UpdateInTerminal.desktop was.

I assume this is what you were after?

2 Likes

Yes, that works. Thanks Manuel. :hugs:

1 Like