Update notifier displays too many updates?

There were 2 (and no aur pkgs to update):

Packages (2) fwupd-1.4.5-1  grub-tools-1.4.3-1
1 Like

Iā€™m seeing some ā€œweirdnessā€ going on with updates and the number my conky displays right now too. Doing yay and UpdateAllPackages is coming back with nothing to do, but the conky shows a number. I was going to give it sometime and check again in an hour or so. I was thinking it might have to do with the server migration.

1 Like

Possible, but I have been seeing it since I installed earlier this week, it is (I think) always doubleā€¦

Ok, sounds different then. Mine is showing a ton of updates are available, but when I check in the terminal it doesnā€™t do anything. Iā€™ll poke around a little more and see what I might have done. When you type checkupdates in the terminal how many does it show you?

Nil at the moment, but will test when I get some.

Weird. Mine seems to be a different issue for sure. Something decided to downgrade a lot of stuff (81 things) after doing two updates to grub tools and one update to downgrade. They show up in checkupdates but I canā€™t seem to get them to update, not via terminal or manually in pamac.

Very weird. My conky shows 9, and:

ā”Œ20:06:35 WD= [/usr/share/conkywx]
ā””ā”€ā”€ā”€freebird@nest ā”€ā–¶$ checkupdatesext
Name                          Current         ->  New             DownloadSize
----                          -------         --  ---             ------------
cmake                         3.18.0-3        ->  3.18.1-1        7.63 MiB
code                          1.47.2-2        ->  1.47.3-1        9.83 MiB
grub-tools                    1.4.1-1         ->  1.4.3-1         13.29 KiB
json-c                        0.14-4          ->  0.15-1          53.91 KiB
linux                         5.7.10.arch1-1  ->  5.7.11.arch1-1  70.84 MiB
linux-headers                 5.7.10.arch1-1  ->  5.7.11.arch1-1  22.13 MiB
r8168                         8.048.03-13     ->  8.048.03-14     116.34 KiB
recode                        3.7.6-2         ->  3.7.7-1         429.22 KiB
virtualbox-host-modules-arch  6.1.12-3        ->  6.1.12-4        153.92 KiB

there they areā€¦

It must have been a mirror thing. My conky and checkupdates always lined up (probably because the conky is based on that cmd, but still), just when I tried to actually pull the updates it wouldnā€™t do it, no matter what I tried. I did it just a few minutes ago and it pulled everything though and now conky and checkupdates both show 0. Sorry to hijack this thread @xircon. Please let us know what you see when you test again.

I had this issue after installing earlier this week as well. It seems the built in update notifier would always have ~2 extra updates than what was listed with yay

Those who have this issue, could you show the output of:

grep "^\[.*\]$" /etc/pacman.conf

Also, how does eos-update-notifier work if you change configuration at /etc/eos-update-notifier.conf as:

ShowHowAboutUpdates=window
  ShowWhatAboutUpdates=packages

It is easy to test with commands:

sudo pacman -S --needed downgrade
  downgrade "a-package-name"   # choose a package here, e.g. geany
  eos-update-notifier
[options]
[core]
[extra]
[community]
[multilib]
[endeavouros]
[herecura]
[archlinuxcn]
[repo-ck]

Changed config file:

Says 5 there are 3 (I downgraded deadbeef).

checkupdatesext
Name               Current  ->  New      DownloadSize
----               -------  --  ---      ------------
deadbeef           1.8.3-1  ->  1.8.4-1  3.57 MiB
python-asn1crypto  1.3.0-1  ->  1.4.0-1  177.36 KiB
python-psutil      5.7.0-1  ->  5.7.1-1  344.24 KiB

Thanks! :+1:
Now I see the problem, it simply gives an incorrect number. Reduce 2 and it should be OK.
Iā€™ll fix it as soon as possible.

1 Like

OK, new version 1.7.6-1 of eos-update-notifier should fix this.

4 Likes

I guess it was also counting the two header lines,

Name               Current  ->  New      DownloadSize
----               -------  --  ---      ------------

Yes, and that was caused by a recent update a couple days ago, where I didnā€™t notice the wrong number that the header lines caused.

4 Likes

Thanks for finding that gotcha! I am doing up a conky script that might well have picked up that counting quirkā€¦

That means 3 versions now for the stuff from pacman-contrib - checkupdates, checkupdatesext, and checkupd (modded by me to keep the [ignored] pkgs in the listā€¦

Actually checkupdatesext is not from pacman-contrib, but from eos-update-notifier. :wink:

I couldnā€™t leave the code alone either :grin: I like the extra info, and am trying to figure out how to trigger a scrolling conky window only when updates existā€¦

You have my attentionā€¦

I have a setup whereby I can scroll, or even smooth scroll, the output from checkupdates. Just trying to decide what will trigger it - perhaps when more than 2 updates are pending? Or 5? No point having an empty window when there arenā€™t any items to show. Keep an eye on ā€˜Show Your Desktopā€™ - Iā€™ll post it there when I get it going the way I wantā€¦

2 Likes