Update froze my laptop, now won't Boot past BIOS

Hello all, I hope you’re well!

I’m back again with more issues…

I was in-process of Updating my System, and my laptop froze, I waited about 20 or so minutes, then force shutdown by holding the Power button, which I didn’t want to do, but couldn’t access my System at all due to the freeze.

I reboot, I’m met with BIOS (as I expected), I slap in the Live ISO (which is where I’m at, currently), and I can’t seem to figure out what to do from here.

I can’t chroot, I can’t seem to figure out how to unlock LUKS. I’ve looked, watched the videos/read the forums/read several other posts about this issue, and everyone seems to be able to get into their System just fine… Although I do have significant brain trauma.

Here’s some logs I read from the forum post about them - https://0x0.st/XXEG.txt - https://0x0.st/XXE0.txt. If you need more, let me know, and potentially the CMD to run them…

Here’s the pastebin from what I’ve ran, there was more, but I accidentally closed the Terminal so ran at least those again - https://pastebin.com/Sx2FiqF2

I’m sorry for being ignorant, I’m really trying to learn.

Thank you for your time, and any assistance.

Too dumb for this

It looks like you have unlocked it.

Based on this mount point and the random string used for the device mapping, I would guess you clicked on the partition in a file explorer to unlock it. Did you have to type in your passphrase?

There is no problem doing it this way, except I guess the mapping they created for you is a bit unwieldy. When you unlock it manually with cryptsetup open you can name the mapping whatever you like. But for this purpose, the way you have done it is fine.

You have mounted the wrong device. It looks like this is your boot media:

You should leave /dev/sda out of it altogether because your installation is on /dev/nvme0n1.

Mount the root partition at /mnt:

sudo mount /dev/mapper/luks-0d037fd1-ae15-4d1e-9303-e4d8143646a1 /mnt

From there you should be able to review the fstab file if you wish.

Mount the EFI partition at /mnt/efi:

sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /mnt/efi

Use the arch-chroot tool to chroot into the installed system:

sudo arch-chroot /mnt

From the chroot, try updating the system. This is the easy way to get back on track, but may or may not succeed depending on what state you are in.

pacman -Syu

Share any problems or errors in the thread so we can see what is happening. If you are using the EndeavourOS live environment to make the repairs, connect to your network and sign in to the forum from the web browser so you can paste the output right into the thread.

Additional information about restoring your system when this happens can be found in this article: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman#Pacman_crashes_during_an_upgrade

2 Likes

First of all, thank you so much for the rundown and the CMDs to actually get in!

I ran them all, and am now experiencing this after running pacman -Syu

:: Synchronizing package databases…
error: failed to synchronize all databases (unable to lock database)
[root@EndeavourOS /]#

Secondly, I don’t recall unlocking LUKS, but apparently did so, somehow, so, either way, I need to now Update, hopefully this time without it freezing, and be able to access my laptop in the state before all of this.

Truly, thank you so much for your reply, and assistance thus far!

This is common if you crash during an update. The short explanation is: Pacman creates a lock file when it is running an update, and removes it when it is done. To prevent breaking things, Pacman will refuse to run another update while the lock file exists. If your system crashes during an update, it never gets to the end where it removes the lock file so it just gets “stuck” there.

You can remove it manually from the chroot like this:

rm /var/lib/pacman/db.lck
2 Likes

Thank you so much for the detailed information, above and here!

I ran the CMD, ran pacman -Syu again, and it did a basic Update, but now wants me to continue, or not with said Updates seen here in the link below. Which, I didn’t accept yet, barring any issues that may arise.*

Update

Truly, I appreciate you taking the time to assist me!

EDIT again; I figured links might be better, instead of raw text, but if not, let me know, thank you!

Yes, go ahead and proceed with the installation; let’s see if it succeeds.

1 Like

Thank you! I went ahead, as you said, and seemingly it did what it was supposed to… I think? Link found here - Continuation

EDIT; This Update was very little compared to earlier when this started, would that make a difference?

The fact that it only updated two packages is not enormously reassuring. Before you exit the chroot and reboot to test, run the reinstall-kernels script and let’s see if it announces any issues.

reinstall-kernels
1 Like

Alright, that took a second, sorry for that, here’s the link, once more - Quite a bit here

Indeed, I thought so too, so I figured I’d ask, to be sure I wasn’t just… well, dumb.

1 Like

Looks good to me, let’s test if you can get back in now. Type exit to get out of the chroot and then reboot.

1 Like

Will do! Fingers crossed! Replying here before I try it, just in case.

If it does work, thank you so incredibly much for the assistance, I’ve learned quite a bit, and will be sure to write it down on paper so I can refer to it if it ever happens again, which, knowing my luck…

If not, I’ll be back, hopefully, but ever-still, thank you!

EDIT; I’m back on the ISO, I don’t know if I didn’t pull the USB quick enough or what… ~Headwall

EDIT again; Should I just reboot and pull the USB, and pray? I do apologize I’m taking up so much of your time.

Some motherboards will have an option to prefer a USB boot over other options if it is available. In this case, you can shut down instead of rebooting, yank out the USB stick while it is off, then power on again and see if your normal boot routine is restored.

If you still don’t see the boot manager, check in your BIOS settings to see if it is recognized as a boot option.

1 Like

Unfortunately I didn’t have that option, just the “normal” experience of booting off the ISO, so I guess in that case I messed up and didn’t pull it quick enough… That’s fine, learning moment.

Alright, I’ll power off and yank it, and turn it on, here’s to hoping I didn’t mess it up further…

Will do, and if not in the BIOS settings, what do I do?

Once more, I apologize for taking up so much of your time.

So many edits… It worked, I’m in, I’m back in my System! Thank you so much, so very much!

I do hope, wherever you are, you have a wonderful day/night, and the best of times to follow!

Now, to make sure this doesn’t happen again…

I’m unsure which to mark as the Solution, as multiple have been the process, can I mark multiple?

1 Like

:partying_face: Glad to hear it!

No need to apologize, we resolved the issue without spending much time on it anyway. :sunglasses:

Only one solution can be marked per topic. Probably this one will be most useful for folks searching the forum with a similar issue in the future.

1 Like

Indeed, thank you so much!

Even still, I do thank you for your time, and apologize for taking it, however, I’m glad you did take the time to help me!

Certainly! I’ll mark it!

Thank you again, so much!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.