Update Blues

I will definitely try this again tomorrow after work. Last time I tried to use any amd card or something other than Nvidia it was just another wild goose chase that resulted in returning to Nvidia. I am all about open source and can’t stand stomach Micro crap but until I can get most of my system moved over I am stuck. I am ahead of where I was previously so its all good.

issue is something else here… nouveau should run x without issue on kepler hardware.

1 Like

Doktor
thanks very much for this, will investigate further and see if I can suss out what is stopping the boot where the system calls the target graphical interface…

just grab my Kepler GT 710 out of the storage and install a fresh copy of EndeavourOS Plasma on the intel machine go to install 470xx drivers and rebooted into running X-system…

and even older GT 610 the same worked with even older 390xx drivers.

1 Like

Thats pretty interesting. I also am running Plasma. Curious, you are running the 470 drivers on which kernel?? My 5.15 LTS boots and runs without problems with the 470 driver package. Because of the newer NVidia, I think 515 drivers-- not supporting the GT 730 is what kacked my 6xx kernel boot when it “reached target graphical interface”…

all kepler gpus are legacy you can check here:

This is also what the nvidia-inst script is using to check working driver …

last driver working for Kepler GPU is the 470xx series legacy driver.

1 Like

Thanks for that. When the 6xx kernel installed, it installed the NVidia 5xx driver, then I got the error on DKMS. So from reading the Legacy Driver NVidia page (thanks for this btw) it seems to infer that the 470 driver will be at some point updated where it will work with the 6xx kernel unless I am misreading it. In the last couple of days I uninstalled all things Nvidia then reinstalled and the system still installs the 5xx NVidia driver. So I am at a bit of a loss at this point. No great damage since I can still run on the 5.15 LTS boot… so I am not dead in the water-- plus CLI still works on 6xx. Just no GUI…
edit-
Now under
nvidia-inst --drivers
yields
nvidia-dkms version 520.56

Series 470:supported (NVidia 470.141.03)
this is different from what I experienced over the past few days…

nvidia --legacyrepo says it will install the legacy driver
so running nvidia-inst series 470 -t
seems to show that things will work but without the -t option says Nvidia-settings are missing and bails out. So opting to proceed with nvidia-inst --legacyrepo installs 470 utils and dkms. When I get to install DKMS modules it shows installing NVidia 470 under 6.1. No error message as I got a couple of days ago.
Rebooted and the GUI started just fine. Inxi -Fzc0 verified that the 6.0.5 kernel is running with the NVidia 470.141.03 driver. So it works!

For anyone who wants to see how capable the nvidia-inst program is there is this page
https://discovery.endeavouros.com/nvidia/new-nvidia-driver-installer-nvidia-inst/2022/03/
which joekamprad Der Doktor posted earlier in this thread. The page and kind help from Der Doktor is definitely what got me through this.

3 Likes

uhh i see @jonathon comment on AUR now too thanks for the hint…
2022-11-05_21-00

1 Like

So since this thread was taken over, I am wondering if I should start a new topic or not. That said, I will address this here and would understand if it should be moved to a different topic / location.

So, after giving up for a few days I decided to start over with my system as I never could get the installation of Endeavouros to work again. The Mint installation still worked fine. Today I downloaded a fresh copy and did a new install. Once installed the only thing I have done is update the the mirrors and correct the grub so that I have a choice of Endeavour os and Mint. As it stands at this minute Mint is fully updated and both operating systems appear fully functional. This brings me to my questions now.

I am under the assumption that the nvidia drivers are the culprit. I would like to update whatever requires an update at this point like system and program files and such. So, before I go touching anything, which path should I take? Clearly it is operational now but I do not know what is actually installed and graphically running. I do not want to reinstall every time I update and / or the display drivers change.

What should I do? Should I run a command to do something to keep things pristine as they are? What can I do to ensure the video driver currently working isnt replaced? I would like to run a few games but understand this system is on the weaker side. I mostly will be doing youtube, emails, some lite gaming, and general work so a powerful system won’t be of major concern with this.

I would welcome thoughts and suggestions on this. Thank you. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Drifter… it seems like we had identical problems which is why I also posted here, not meant to offend at all please accept my apologies…

What you might do is open a terminal and run
inxi -Fzc0
and post the results back here. That would give both you and the rest of us, knowledge about pretty much exactly where your system is- which kernel is running, which graphics drivers are running and so forth…
Given the timeline where both you and I experienced the same problem, I am going to guess that NVidia didnt yet have the legacy 470xx drivers yet available that would work with the 6.0 kernel…but that is a guess and probably the much more knowledgeable people like Der Doktor can and will contribute to this as well.

Again, please accept my apologies. I am very glad you are able to boot both Mint and Endeavor and both function. As an FYI, I am running Endeavor on a couple of systems, one with the stable kernel and one with the 6.xx kernel. That’s the one I had the problems with. The system with the 6.xx kernel also has the stable kernel installed as a fallback, I do that as a matter of course.

Look forward to seeing your inxi results.
Regards

No worries at all honestly. I just didn’t want to compound an already very busy topic. While me getting the system functional to some degree is partially relevant it borders on a separate topic in some ways since I have not actually attempted to do a major update.

An additional thing is the system I want to run on is almost an antique like me. I’m not getting enough side work right now but my current windows system would run in much better and is far more up to date. That system may eventually take over as my testing and learning machine.

So anyways as I said, no worries about sharing the topic and I am going to add the results of the terminal command and see what I find. Thanks!

1 Like

Hey
You are most welcome. What I think happened to both your and my machines is that the legacy driver compiled for the 6.xx kernel wasnt available when we both did the update. It was ready a few days later and I was able to install it thanks to Der Doktor’s instructions. So thats what got me running again. Today there was an update to the 6…xx kernel to 6.0.7. I am running both the LTS and the 6.x kernel on my machine and so far on my platform I cant see much difference between the two…the update today went without problems . I watched the machine do the DKMS compile of the 470xx driver. On the original update to the 6.xx kernel before the 470 driver was available for that— I got an error message that the 526 video driver the machine wanted to load…didnt support my card. The 470 legacy driver hadnt been being prepped for the 6xx kernel or wasnt available on my mirrors. Any way I can be of service in helping…and I speak for everyone else here on the forum, please reach out. I’ve run several of the arch/arch derivatives and this is the best IMO, partly because of the operating system and partly because of the people here. After all where else can you go to a Linux forum that has long threads about “what are you reading now”…and “what are you listening to now”… just most excellent. I am glad you are making progress, look forward when its convenient for you, to see the inxi results as well as what your thoughts are on moving forward with your Endeavour install…
Regards and have a great Sunday evening.

That command gave me grief running it so I restarted and used the log tool from the welcome screen and created a log full of information. Nothing actually stood out to me but I am still wrapping my head around Linux and its commands. Very much the reason I like the option of this distro.

So for everyone’s viewing pleasure the saved link is HERE.

I still cant help thinking there is also something with the hardware possibly too yet nothing I can nail down. Hopefully your Sunday is going well too.

1 Like

Ok. Lots of info but you are running the 6.0.7 kernel with the nouveau driver and you are able to get to the GUI I assume yes? Desktop works? If the desktop works then is your next objective is to install the NVidia package ? Of course if you arent able to get to the desktop screen that also would be the objective unless what you want to do with the system only involves CLI… There are a lot more knowledgeable minds here than I but-- I dont see anything amiss with the information you presented in the log readout. It appears that the NVidia 470xx package is not installed… another question–is 6.0.7 the only kernel installed in your Endeavor installation?
Regards
Just as an aside I am an antique as well so…:slight_smile: more so than my graphics cards…

Yes I can get to the startup screen and use most everything like Firefox and such. I’m not sure I want to attempt the Nvidia route at this point. With things being what they are the system at least functions at the moment. Even if I update the drivers this system lacks enough power to run most of the games I like. Then again, none of this is “mission critical” so I could always do yet another reinstall lol… :crazy_face:

1 Like

Yep understand completely… ok if you want to have a run at the NVidia package, here is basically what I did… bear in mind I had no desktop so was ctl+alt+F2 into a login prompt from where my system froze on startup…

Then
nvidia-inst --legacyrepo

this adds the repo for the legacy drivers…then

nvidia-inst --drivers

to tell you what drivers your system will support
then test the install…in the case of the 470 drivers the command would be

nvidia-inst --series 470 -t

then if the test completes without an error then, in the case of the 470 driver…

nvidia-inst series 470

After the install is finished, reboot and if you get back to the desktop check it–pop a terminal and inxi to verify that the NVidia driver is running under 6.0.7 kernel. This should work. I understand about nuking and paving…a reinstall… when things dont go right on a non mission critical system…if this install route does not work then if the nvidia-inst command lives up to its press then there is always

nvidia-install --nouveau

and this purportedly will install the nouveau driver to get you back to where you are without nuking and paving the existing installation. All of this and my experience with resolving the problem you and I shared is from both Der Doktor …and from here

https://discovery.endeavouros.com/nvidia/new-nvidia-driver-installer-nvidia-inst/2022/03/

which gives an overview of the nvidia-inst code bundle. Let me know what you decide and if you choose to install the driver, how it turns out please.
Regards

quick note…if you run

nvidia-inst --series 470 -t
and it yields errors please post them here.

1 Like

I’ve moved to the 470 drivers and that seems to have solved the issue for now once I realized how to install them. The article at https://discovery.endeavouros.com/nvidia/new-nvidia-driver-installer-nvidia-inst/2022/03/ is not particularly telling in that you need to prefix with yay if I recall. I kept getting invalid command type responses and it took awhile to figure out. This system is very under powered but it is running great for everything but games. I gave a few installed but the system cannot handle many of them. Not the Os in this case though.

1 Like

If package nvidia-inst is not installed, you can install it in various ways. The most obvious way is a terminal command:

sudo pacman -Syu nvidia-inst

The same applies to any other EndeavourOS and Arch package.

You can install it with yay as well:

yay -Syu nvidia-inst

Note that I used options -Syu above to make sure that all installed packages will be updated too.

1 Like