Upcycle Windows 7

What legacy Nvidia card are you referring to?

Nvidia GTX 260 card.

Are you not able to run the 340.xx series drivers from the AUR?

Edit: I assume this is a desktop?

Well I have not tried that. However with many GNU/Linux distros, the distro does automatically install the drivers for me and gives me the option whether I want to use Nvidia drivers or not. When I select the Nvidia driver option and reboot the system, the OS is a lot smoother but still laggier than Windows.

Maye you try the legacy drivers from the AUR and see. You may change your opinion? Or not?

1 Like

I could give it a try, but what is the difference though in terms of the way it was installed, wouldn’t the drivers be the same?

Have you tried it on EOS? You might be surprised. I don’t know what distro’s you are referring to but i don’t think they are Arch because it doesn’t automatically install anything.

I have not.

I have tried it on Manjaro though, Manjaro automatically downloaded the drivers (I think it did, it was a while back so I can’t quite remember but I am 100% sure I did end up using Nvidia drivers).

So how does this method of installation differ to the other method of installation if I may ask?

It’s coming from the AUR so it has to build package and install because it’s a legacy driver it’s not in the Arch repo anymore.

But I mean how is the Nvidia driver package from the AUR any different compared to the package that would automatically get installed for my system?

The 340xx driver is the driver that your card specifically needs, the official support for this driver ended in spring 2019. Some developers are maintaining this driver for as long as they can, that’s why it is “demoted” to the AUR. Nvidia pushed out an update last month and from the looks of it, the support wil end later this year.
You can use the 340xx driver and it will work for as long as the maintainers push out updates.

I can give this a try, but can I try this in live mode and enable it in live mode? And what is the name of the package I have to install?

Depending on the Linux kernel you’re running: the manstream kernel use nvidia-340xx and nvidia-340xx-utils.
For the LTS kernel nvidia-340xx-lts and nvidia-340xx-utils.

I advise you to install the LTS kernel next to the mainstream kernel, especially now kernel 5.5 is coming. The nvidia-340xx maintainers release the updates usually a day or two after a major kernel update and with the LTS kernel, you will have a properly running system as a fallback option.

In that case install the nvidia-340xx-dkms and nvidia-340xx-utils.

1 Like

probably win7 get artificially upgraded i dont think there comes such bumps that 340x on win7 get decapriated because win7 is decapriated it self

on linux 340xx i gues you have to wait on the new xorg changes , depend really more on it. if 340xx not get upgraded on that code it goes to aur and you have to downstream some xorg.

but lately nvidia send some doc’s for the opensource drivers in that range gona be alright later on for the older cards, for newer cards is different story

1 Like

That worked very well with the current xorg update, the maintainers are doing an excellent job on this. (that driver is already in the AUR)

current is stil xorg 1.20.x but i mean just xorg 1.21.x when that is up most of people should be not to haste to update on these xorg just peak what upstream going on.

2 Likes

I think that advice regarding the xorg updates goes for all of us.

1 Like

for free drivers is more safer to say it wil going wel nonfree you have to be more cautios

1 Like

I am actually very surprised that those Nvidia drivers are still being maintained.

Whats the difference between nvidia-340xx and nvidia-340xx-utils?

I should do that.

What is nvidia-340xx-dkms?

Are the 340xx actually open source? I am surprised Nvidia even made it open source.