Unable to install yt-dlp

I was answering the OP’s question without making any assumptions. python-certifi was installed independently of the package manager, probably with pip. For all I know, there is a valid reason the OP did this. My advice to install yt-dlp was taken straight from the dev’s github project page, and works. Futhermore, my advice did not ask the OP to change anything else on their system. My advice would solve the problem without making any assumptions on how and why the OP installed python-certifi.

Pacman is my friend so I agree but if I manually install a script I place it in .local/bin

There is no valid reason to do this on Arch. Just like there is no valid reason to use sudo with yt-dlp.

2 Likes

So, if running sudo yt-dlp -U is advised as per the developer to update the binary, and it’s terrible practice according to you, do you now hold yt-dlp to be suspect and not trustworthy? Since the developer is advising bad practices, would not the entire project be questionable?

Don’t run random commands you find on the internet, especially with root privileges. Not even from developers of popular scripts.

No, why would it? Just don’t run it with sudo. yt-dlp is a video downloader, downloading videos is not something that needs or should need root privileges. Just use common sense.

I have never investigated yt-dlp so I can’t speak to it’s trustworthiness either way.

That command demonstrates a substantial lack of security awareness so if the developer making that suggestion is responsible for the security of the product it is certainly something to consider.

That being said, where does the developer recommend running yt-dlp -U with sudo? Running yt-dlp without sudo seems fine to me.

Just below the instructions to install on multiple operating systems.

Just below are the specific instructions for Arch that tell you to use pacman. Those are relevant.

2 Likes

Yes, that is indeed troubling advice.

That being said, developers aren’t infallible. I know, I am also a developer. :sweat_smile:

I submitted this:

4 Likes

Now I don’t remember for certain but I had to get the DEB file and “manually” install this application, so it worked on Debian MATE “Bullseye”. Also had to specifically choose three packages related to Python. I used it once and felt afraid, so it might be uninstalled. Became half-paranoid. I read some stuff in the page on Github which convinced me I shouldn’t use this any longer. I don’t want to get arrested.

Technically, it’s not a python script. It’s a zipimport archive.

Since it’s a zipimport archive, its dependencies are packaged into that one file in binary format.

Of course it works. Nobody is saying that it doesn’t. We’re merely saying that there’s a much safer and more efficient way to install and manage packages on Arch Linux. Sure, copying the zip import archive from the github repo doesn’t take much work, but using pacman (or yay) is even easier.

Every time you run sudo pacman -Syu to update your system (which is often), yt-dlp will be updated automatically along with every other package installed on your system. With zero effort. With pacman, you have a uniform interface to update all your packages. You won’t have to worry about remembering ten dozen ways to update ten dozen packages (like in Windows); every package can be updated the same way. Either with yay or sudo pacman -Syu

2 Likes

Pacman is also my friend. I try not to argue with my friends. :grin:

1 Like

Thanks a lot @anthony93 .
I known that installing packages using pip might break the system, and actually I do not remember doing it.
Anyways, your suggestion fixed the problem, thanks a lot.

2 Likes

Because I want to pacman, and because I do not want to remember to upgrade single packages.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.