Unable to install EndevourOS

The interesting symptoms are

• sudo fdisk -l is hanging
  • gparted is not working either

Can you show the output of

sudo pacman -Sy inxi
  inxi -Dpxxxc0
1 Like

I do believe there is a setup in your Bios that could help something !
Could you check what @manuel asked for it ?

Your Sda3 and Sda4 are ok, 100G for the system is a lot !

Sda3 40G max (even 30G is enough) then you have more for your Home Sda4 175.8G

1 Like

Ok so the output for this was:

Local Storage: total: 467.62 GiB used: 323.4 MiB (0.1%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD5000AAKS-00A7B0 
  size: 465.76 GiB speed: <unknown> serial: WD-WMASY0150898 rev: 3B01 
  scheme: MBR 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Kingston model: DataTraveler 2.0 
  size: 1.86 GiB serial: 00100000000000000000002B rev: 1.00 scheme: MBR 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 10.00 GiB used: 323.4 MiB (3.2%) fs: overlay source: ERR-102 
  ID-2: /run/archiso/bootmnt raw size: 1.61 GiB size: <root required> 
  used: <root required> fs: iso9660 dev: /dev/sdb1 
  ID-3: /run/archiso/sfs/airootfs raw size: 1.51 GiB size: <root required> 
  used: <root required> fs: squashfs dev: /dev/loop0 

I will check it out and I will see if it exists this fastboot option.

Is there a problem with my drives/partitions though?

Nope the way you think it has to work.

Your Disk Sda doesnā€™t give any Speed ?

size: 465.76 GiB speed: <unknown>

It is an 11 year old computer, maybe the program doesnā€™t know how to show it or something.

I have a gigabyte BIOS, would this fastboot option exist?

Ok give me the model of your Motherboard and version of Bios I will check it.
You have some tool for SMART test on your disk but if you told that another distro was working on it, itā€™s not necessary to check that !

I asked because I have a disk which has a part dead so bypass it on my way to partition it then it worksā€¦

Thanks mate :slight_smile:

The motherboard model number is: GA-EP35-DS3P
BIOS version: 62.00.4C.00.1D

One question: do you have the latest BIOS release for your machine? If not, updating that might help, but if you update it, make really sure it is the exactly correct BIOS for your machine.

Your motherboard is the revision 2.1 ?

GA-EP35-DS3P (rev. 2.1)

The version you gave me is weird it seems to be a MAC address ?
Look here the latest version is about F6 from 2009/06/18 :

1 Like

There is an update avilable but I remember it has nothing to do with performance or anything useful.

According to their website:

Realtek Function driver for Realtek Azalia audio chip (Including Microsoft UAA Driver in English edition)

OS: Windows XP 64bit,Windows XP 32bit,Windows Vista 64bit,Windows Vista 32bit,Windows 7 64bit,Windows 7 32bit

You need the BIOS F6 from 2009/06/18
I do believe if your motherboard battery is dead and reset all you are on the F1 version !!

Is not about performance but maybe you would get others options that will help and better stability. In all the case take it, in case they remove it cause it becomes old but be sure about the REV 2.1 of your Motherboard !

When i turn on the computer this is what I see:

Did you install another BIOS not from Gigabytes ?

Ok sure I will download it then, but still I donā€™t think it will resolve this weird issue that I am getting with the installer.

Do you know what other ways to solve this issue, if it is only happening with this distro then something weird is going on.

One thing to try now (if you havenā€™t done so lately) is to install e.g. Kubuntu or any other of your previous distros, and see if the installing still works.

Another thing to check is some disk related BIOS settings, because EndeavourOS is using much newer kernel than e.g. Kubuntu.
The newer kernel might be the reason. To test that idea, you might want to test if some other Arch based distro is able to show output of sudo fdisk -l or use gparted.

1 Like

That doesnā€™t seem to be the Gigabyte BIOS versionā€¦ It seems to be the Nvidia graphics card BIOS version.

Should I try Manjaro as that is arch based? Or should I download an older installer for EndevourOS?

You can try Manjaro, yes.
And even Arch itself, it should be able to run sudo fdisk -l from the TTY it starts initially.
And why not an older EOS ISO.

Yes what you showed on picture is about Nvidia card not the version BIOS.
About BIOS, you will find it in booting on windows that open the command and tape :

wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion

Follow what @manuel told you by security, then if all this doesnā€™t work, you will need to update your BIOS I do believeā€¦