Unable to build I3wm

im trying to install I3wm alongside Kdeplasma 6.
When i try do use the aur packe wich is linked in the wiki i get the following errors when i try to install it using yay
i also tryed the eos guide for i3wm but i could get that to run either because the commands wherent working and im not advanced enough to get why

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packages…
libev-4.33-2-x86_64 is up to date
error: failed retrieving file ‘libev-4.33-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst’ from archlinux.thaller.ws : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file ‘libev-4.33-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst’ from mirror.f4st.host : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file ‘libev-4.33-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst’ from mirror.sunred.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file ‘libev-4.33-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst’ from mirror.moson.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file ‘libev-4.33-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst’ from pkg.fef.moe : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file ‘libev-4.33-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst’ from de.arch.mirror.kescher.at : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file ‘libev-4.33-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst’ from mirrors.niyawe.de : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file ‘libev-4.33-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst’ from mirror.ubrco.de : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file ‘libev-4.33-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst’ from packages.oth-regensburg.de : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file ‘libev-4.33-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst’ from mirror.selfnet.de : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file ‘libev-4.33-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst.sig’ from arch.kurdy.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
warning: failed to retrieve some files
error: failed to commit transaction (failed to retrieve some files)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
→ error installing repo packages

i have not seen that bevore so im really confused

sudo pacman -Syu i3-wm
OR
sudo pacman -Syu i3
1 Like

if that works im going to cry, (i will test when im home)

1 Like

You should always prefer repository packages over building from AUR (as @ddnn suggests with installing with pacman) unless you have a specific reason to build from source.

Jet the reason for your build to fail seems to be an outdated mirrorlist. Did you update your AUR mirrors recently?

1 Like

[09:03:58] joekamprad :: SLIMSHADY64  ➜  ~ » pacman -Qs libev                 
local/libev 4.33-3
    A full-featured and high-performance event loop

Package database is outdated and may system not up to date.
Partial updates are not supported, to install new packages always first update the system.

The requested URL returned error: 404

search for it and it will give you a hint also…

And indeed i3 is in the official repositories no need for sourcebuilding it… as of we have it as an installer option also we have a tool to install all needed packages for this too:
eos-packagelist --install i3-Window-Manager in case you want to use the default i3wm setup from EndeavourOS see here:

Only be careful to overwrite configs from your plasma setup best would be to use a VM instead or at least create a new user if you want to use them side by side to check out i3…

2 Likes

i did when i installed the system like 2 or 3 days ago, i updatet the mirrorlists as well as using the update options the Eos Welcome tool gives you (for convinience).
But when updating the mirrorlists it just said warning failed to rate server, timed out after five seconds on all options.
Im not sure if that is because of my location but everything else worked as expected so i didnt think much of it

If I understand what you’re describing properly, this message is not uncommon. The mirror list update is intended to discern which mirror candidates are not available … so messages like this indicate the process is working.

This order matters and my failure to adhere to it has been a source of past frustration (and learning!):

1 - Update mirrors.
2 - Update systems using the -Syu option.
3 - Install target programs.
4 - Rinse / repeat as needed :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.