Unable to boot after failed pacman upgrade

Hi, I was upgrading my system with yay -Syu and the process froze somewhere in the middle (i don’t remember exactly). I terminated the process and attempted to run the upgrade again. This time it showed all the packages were already up to date.
I then rebooted my computer and I was unable to boot, with the system showing error: file '/boot/vmlinuz-linux' not found. I then chrooted via WSL to fix the broken packages by reinstalling them (one package being the kernel), that got me a little bit more through the boot process, now it hangs at A start job is running for /dev/disk/by-uuid/... (no limit)
That disk being my main root partition. I verified that the UUID is correct in fstab, tried reinstalling grub and such. One issue i have is that I can’t even view any logs because it can’t even write the logs since it can’t mount the disk. Does anybody know how I could get my system to boot again?

1 Like

I dont know what this is but maybe boot from the Live disk and chroot from that

here is a good starting point
https://discovery.endeavouros.com/system-rescue/arch-chroot/2022/12/

WSL is windows subsystem for linux, basically Linux (Ubuntu) inside windows. It seemed to work fine and everything ran without errors

ok so not a real linux and something to allow microsnoop to spy on you.

Good Luck

i should have known that i shouldn’t mention windows here, anyways its just a linux vm so it works fine for me

Its not that you shouldn’t mention anything windows not at all. It’s just I know nothing of windows. I haven’t used it in a very long time so I’m just no help when it comes to doing things with or even in windows.

Presuming that you set up chroot correctly from WSL (see: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Chroot), inside the chroot run the update command, reinstall your kernels and regenerate your initramfs.

By the way, I think I had read somewhere long ago that it was possible to access a Linux filesystem from within WSL. I never followed up on the subject. So it is possible now judging by what you say and have done?

Well, I forgot to regenerate my initramfs and doing so fixed the issue, can’t believe I forgot that.
Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.