Unable to add printer in KDE

I have been running Endeavour for couple of weeks now, but I am just getting around to installing my printer (HP Color LaserJet M277). When I go the system settings area for KDE, I am presented with an error that states “Print service is unavailable. Bad file descriptor” and I am unable to even attempt to add a printer via the GUI. I have verified that CUPS and Avahi are installed and running.

I have also attempted to install my printer using the hp-setup utility from the CLI, and even though I can find and add the printer with no errors, this never results in an actual selectable printer in any applications.

Ideally I would like to use the KDE GUI system settings application to add my printer rather than anything else, but I have not been able to figure out why that does not seem to be working.

I got it working.

I have to remove the existing /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file and replace that with /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.default.

Once I stopped cupsd and started cups I as able to add my printer.

2 Likes

I’m impressed. I would have offered help, but of all the things I can do in Linux, printers are my unicorn. At least wifi. I’ve gotten mine to work a half dozen times wirelessly on various distros. I print like 3 things and it’s gone again. I don’t get it. Mine only works now with a wire.