Two versions of dependency required at the same time

Hello everyone, I have another newbie issue that I have run into today while trying to install the Strawberry player:

>sudo pacman -S strawberry 
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing gst-plugins-base-libs (1.22.8-2) breaks dependency 'gst-plugins-base-libs=1.22.9' required by gst-libav
:: installing gst-plugins-base-libs (1.22.8-2) breaks dependency 'gst-plugins-base-libs=1.22.9' required by gst-plugins-bad-libs
:: installing gst-plugins-base-libs (1.22.8-2) breaks dependency 'gst-plugins-base-libs=1.22.9' required by gst-plugins-base
:: installing gst-plugins-base-libs (1.22.8-2) breaks dependency 'gst-plugins-base-libs=1.22.9' required by gst-plugins-ugly

How do I resolve this issue?
Thanks.

1. Launch the welcome app and refresh your Arch mirrors

2. Update your system (always) before installing any new package: sudo pacman -Syu

3. Install strawberry: sudo pacman -S strawberry

PS. you could also combine 2 and 3: sudo pacman -Syu strawberry

Strange, I updated the system before trying to install Strawberry, but didn’t have any updates pending. After updating the mirrors, I had lots of updates pending. However, I think I updated my mirrors a few days ago… What could have happened? Thanks for your answer!

Could be that the mirror(s) used by pacman being out of sync.

The fact that pacman was trying to install an older version of a package already being in your system and thus breaking dependencies implies that the mirror being used was outdated.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.