[Tutorial] Convert to systemd-boot

Yes…“kernel-install-mkinitcpio” is all you need. Below is Dalto’s comment on it from earlier in this thread…

" I added eos-systemd-boot to the AUR as kernel-install-mkinitcpio which should make it easier to install and maintain."

1 Like

Thank you @JKMooney
Job done!

I just have one remaining question.
While booting I noticed that the first boot option is the “arch” then arch fallback, then the LTS and its fallback…

How can I change to make LTS the default and first option?

You’ll find that information in chapter 2 of the ArchWiki article on systemd-boot. (https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Systemd-boot). The ArchWiki is a good “first source” of information that you should get comfortable using. Also, good idea to go to individual source materials if you have further questions.

LSS - you can set the default boot, or you can even tell it to keep using the last selection you made until you change it.

Went quickly through it. But I am not that techie…
The file /usr/share/systemd/bootctl/loader.conf
only has two words default arch!

Let’s talk about this…
EOS is a very good operating system, but it it is an Arch-based rolling release that tends to get the latest software available. The WILL be hiccups along the way. It will need active maintenance. If you really want simple, stable, and easy to maintain, I would suggest you give Linux Mint a look. It’s one of the best as far as “just works” and “easy to work with” is concerned.

1 Like

You don’t need this script, because it’s same as kernel-install-mkinitcpio

OK, a lot went on here while I was asleep.

What are you trying to do at this point?

1 Like

That isn’t true. You need both. The script does some one-time conversion.

1 Like

Show me what you think you should do after reading the Wiki and we’ll work from there… :wink:

To be fair, the wiki appears to be missing most of the relevant information related to changing the order of the list if that is what is being attempted.

1 Like

I feel at home here… I am enjoying the distro and the community.
Unless the community tells me “shut up… you are bothering us! Go somewhere else, we don’t want you here!”

I know that of course… and it’s OK with me!

Fair enough…also take a look at the manual page for the bootctl command. If “man” isn’t installed, you can find the page here (https://man.archlinux.org/man/bootctl.1). Also, because these boot configs are identified by long, complex names, it might be easier to manually select the one you want at the boot menu and then use “sudo bootctl set-default @current” to make it the new default.

Yes… I have been reading and trying to look inside every file and every folder… I couldn’t figure out … yet.

Exactly this is what I am trying to do. To make the LTS kernel the default and first option.

Those are different things.

Does it need to be the first?(That is possible but more work)

Or does it need to be the default?(That is very easy)

That will probably break as soon the kernel updates.

Just this command will make the current kernel (5.15.63-1-lts) the default?
I believe there is a file somewhere to edit.

Don’t do that. Answer my question above then we will get you there.

Sorry!
I just came from Grub, the default is usually the first! It seems I have a lot still to learn… and a lot to unlearn!

Well, let me say my answer to your question is to make it the default.
But still curious how to change its place as well.

If you want to change the default, can you share the output from ls /efi/loader/entries

So, he should use “bootctl list” to find the one he wants then set it explicitly with “bootctl set-default”? (or, alternatively, directly edit loader.conf).