Trouble with JACK2

Thanks for the links. I was reading through the Pulseaudio and Jack page. I’ll have a look at the routing page.

Here’s the output:

[philo@Spooner ~]$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]
card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: CX20756 Analog [CX20756 Analog]
card 2: Microphone [Yeti Stereo Microphone], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

I’m just trying to figure out what device it’s trying to use. It looks like device o which is analog output. Is that what you are hooked up to for sound output? This stuff is hard because you have alsa and pulse audio. It looks as though it’s using alsa so that’s what i would look at in the info.
I’m not sure what gui tools you have installed that may be helpful.

Maybe after some system update?

When i see some issue after updates i usually downgrade the failing package.

For example new opera version has a bug here when i type url to search something; gets a random freeze that can last for minutes. I downgraded and opera is back to normal. Now i’m using the latest version again with the bug waiting for a new opera update :crossed_fingers:

May be worth for you to check latest updated packages (related with sound).
You can check the update log at /var/log/pacman.log
you can use cat /var/log/pacman.log or open with your favorite text editor

• search for dates right before rebooting and then check audio packages, make a list of them and may try downgrading…

Grrr… I was looking into disabling pulseaudio as a quick fix. Why can’t we just do this: sudo systemctl disable pulse. The config file already had autospawn = no, so I’m at a loss… I guess dbus is starting it, but I’m out of time for now.

There was an update on my KDE for sndiod which is related to sound.

The sndiod daemon is an intermediate layer between audio or MIDI programs and the hardware.

You also have the issue? If so try downgrading sndiod it and see how it goes (reboot after downgrading)…

No i was just pointing out that i saw this update lately related to sound which may be involved . I’m not sure as i have not used jack2. Just trying to help him get it working.

1 Like

Some more info.

Thank you so much for helping me with this. I could finally resolve the issue, largely with help of the GUI tool Cadence. To be honest, it was a lot of clicking on options and hitting buttons until I randomly found something that worked… but I guess that’s what GUI is all about, play with it until you figure it out :wink:

Well i’m glad you got it working. Was it related to the using proper sound device in the Cadence jack settings window under Alsa?

In part, but also the correct settings for how to interact with pulseaudio. I find it extremely odd that these settings only allow for one device. I have no clue why it does not allow for settings related to every audio device on the computer, as that would seem like an obvious need for an application of this nature.

I think in all the info i sent you and what i skimmed through it said that pulse audio isn’t used and it had to be alsa and that was the hard part configuring it but some of the gui tools could do that. It seems quite complicated from a distance and not actually interacting with it.

Computing stuff always needs to be ridiculously complicated to be good. The more convoluted and complicated it is the better it is. Thus JACK is awesome!

2 Likes