Trouble installing spotify and spotify-dev

Hi! Hope this is the right section. I’m trying to install Spotify, and both “yay spotify” and “yay spotify-dev” seem to halt on “Parsing SRCINFO” indefinitely. I let it run for about half an hour a couple of days ago with no change or apparent progress. Not sure if there’s a connection, but I’d previously been unable to install it due to some sort of issue with the PGP key server.

$ yay spotify-dev
1 aur/spotify-dev 1.1.26.501-1 (+16 3.26) 
    A proprietary music streaming service
==> Packages to install (eg: 1 2 3, 1-3 or ^4)
==> 1
:: Checking for conflicts...
:: Checking for inner conflicts...
[Repo:1]  libcurl-gnutls-7.71.1-1
[Aur:1]  spotify-dev-1.1.26.501-1

:: Downloaded PKGBUILD (1/1): spotify-dev
  1 spotify-dev                      (Build Files Exist)
==> Diffs to show?
==> [N]one [A]ll [Ab]ort [I]nstalled [No]tInstalled or (1 2 3, 1-3, ^4)
==> n
:: (1/1) Parsing SRCINFO: spotify-dev

And there it stays until I eventually close the window.

1 Like

@Zos - there are issues with the pgp keys for the spotify package. I had to follow some of the manual process in the comments section of the AUR page here AUR Spotify Page

Once I got the keys sorted out, I went back and did the simple yay spotify and it installed without issue.

2 Likes

Select [N] one.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll take a look when I have time.

You can fix the GPG key issue by using:

curl -sS https://download.spotify.com/debian/pubkey.gpg | gpg --import -
3 Likes

All right, ran this from the link you provided:

gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 931FF8E79F0876134EDDBDCCA87FF9DF48BF1C90 2EBF997C15BDA244B6EBF5D84773BD5E130D1D45

Didn’t work, gave me a read error for .gnupg/gpg.conf in the home directory. Tried taking a look at the file in question, and it turned out that gpg.conf was a folder instead of a text file. Not sure how that happened, but I tried copying the gpg.conf from etc/pacman.d/gnupg into the appropriate place in the home directory, then ran the command again. It appeared to work, so I tried “yay spotify” again. It worked! As far as I can tell, Spotify is now running properly. Thanks for the help!

3 Likes

Glad you got it working … guess you will be posting here now! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The easiest way.

yay -S --mflags --skipinteg spotify

Select the one you want and when it gets to import the key say no.

1 Like

Hmmm… Would that impede functionality in any way?

No … i use it all the time to install spotify because i get tired of the licence keys never working and then i can’t install it. When the keys are working it’s okay but when they don’t you can’t install without updating the keys which don’t always work either. I have been doing it this way and i have no issue with it.

@ricklinux … Livin’ on the edge!!!

Of course I don’t know what is worse, manually monkeying with keys or just ignoring the check? :slight_smile:

Well put it this way. I don’t really care that spotify gets updated as much as being able to install it. If i can’t install it then it doesn’t get updated anyway. The problem is the keys are always changing and they don’t seem to get updated.

Edit: I usually always install vlc, rhythmbox and spotify as well as lollypop!

1 Like

If you don’t have a data cap, I recommend going into Spotify’s settings and set the music quality to “Very High”. Otherwise, Spotify will sound terrible.

2 Likes

The recurring installation issues that seems to happen a few times per year is the main reason I this time actually installed the flatpak version of Spotify instead.

…and that’s the reason why I briefly used a snap version on Antergos (no Spotify flatpak back then). :shushing_face: :grin:

1 Like

I just gave up and always install it skipping the key.

yay -S --mflags --skipinteg spotify

Asks to import the licence say no.

1 Like