Trouble installing EOS in Boxes VM

I have EOS running on my laptop perfectly with Gnome, and thought I would try KDE in a Boxes VM.

I have the latest copy of ISO version of EOS. I create new a new virtual machine in Boxes complete the install and get to Liveuser install. I then complete the full install with KDE desktop. The installation shows done, and I then try to restart EOS and I go right back to Liveuser mode. What am I doing wrong? Why won’t EOS install like other distros in Boxes?

Thanks for any help
Z

You are probably booting off the ISO again instead of booting off the installed system.

Try removing the ISO from the virtual drive.

Well I have the iso stored on my hard drive. Maybe that’s the problem. Maybe I should burn it to a usb drive?
Z

Err…no.

Once the install is complete, remove the ISO from the VM.

Well I am not sure how to do that in Boxes. You just point to the iso and it installs. I will go back and take a look. Thanks Dalto!

I don’t see a way to remove the iso in Boxes. I suppose I could try to use Virtualbox instead.
Z

I think you would need to go to the VM:s properties. If I remeber correctly you could choose what device it can boot from or you could open some config file from there and change the boot order to the virtual disk.

Sorry for not being more precise. It was quite some time ago I used gnome-boxes.

EDIT:
Right click on the VM and choose Properties:
Screenshot from 2023-05-07 02-16-56

1 Like

That pointed me in the right direction pebcak.

I went to Preferences; Edit Configuration and changed the boot menu enable from no to yes. Worked great now I have EOS KDE on VM.

Cheers

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.