Trouble booting from USB SSD - BTRFS with Subvolumes and LUKS2 Encryption

I think @sradjoker or @Pudge would be more helpful than i can be. I just have a Pi400 and that’s been my experience with it getting it to boot on a usb ssd. It has to do with the conversion from usb to sata. So it’s the adapter that’s the issue from my understanding. That’s why i need to use the quirks or it won’t boot on usb.

Thanks.

Can’t figure out what the issue is. Need to narrow it down.

The fact it is attempting to start, Uboot loading the kernel, encrypt hook prompting me for the passphrase, and then it shows that subvolumes are being mounted successfully. Does that count as “booting” from USB at least?

The fact that kernel hooks are running means the kernel is up and running, right? Or do the hooks get run by the bootloader before loading the kernel? Would like to rule out a problem at the bootloader stage if possible.

I did read a blog post from 2020 about Uboot not supporting full USB booting without using the RC… But given it’s now 2022 and the version of Uboot is way newer, I’ve assumed I probably don’t need to worry about Uboot giving me issues booting from USB.

Correct me if I’m wrong.

If you are going to install and boot EOS Arm it’s best to follow exactly what they are telling you to do.

Edit:

https://arm.endeavouros.com/

Yeah, I did all that. That’s all working on the SD card.

But I wanted to make some changes to my setup in terms of encryption, BTRFS subvolumes and also running off an SSD.

The only thing i can tell you is install it according to the instructions and go from there. I only have a Pi 400 and it does work to boot off usb but requires the quirks both for SSD or even a usb stick.

Have you tried disabling UAS? I’m not sure what SSD adapter you are using but there are issues with some.

sudo nano /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf

add

DisableSwitching=1

save the file and reboot.