Transparent wood

Stumbled across this, this is a game changer for construction.

5 Likes

Who’d have thought, I first thought it was a joke but this opens up a lot of opportunities.

1 Like
1 Like

That’s is super-cool!!
LOVE it, will certainly make some stuff.

Wonder what about termites and other little insects…Will they still find such wood tasty? :laughing:

No, it’s impregnated with epoxy. There is only a cellulose matrix left of the wood, the material itself is mostly the resin.

I don’t think any little critter has an appetite for epoxy. :laughing:

1 Like

The big ones though…
https://www.reddit.com/r/trees/comments/5nm68w/can_eating_resin_get_you_high/

:rofl:

1 Like

- Hey maaaaaaan, can i smoke your transparent table to get hiiiiiigh?
- No you fscking idiot, this one is real glass!!! :joy:

1 Like

Definitely it might be better for wood rot or mold suppression?

Why not use directly the epoxy without the wood? :man_shrugging: It doesn’t look like the wood adds anything to the composition. On the other hand some people would sell it as a super green alternative (it has wood) to the plastics (epoxy is a plastic material but we don’t have to mention it during marketing, right?).

Ther is even better alternative called polycarbonate or PMMA (plexiglass).

2 Likes

It does, it adds wood :rofl:

I was also wondering this after my sense of wonder at modern technology wore off. I suppose pretty much anything transparent could be used to form a matrix for the epoxy.

2 Likes

Such pubescent joke. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Only on Reddit! :roll_eyes:

I agree. The question now becomes, why kill the tree and handle hydrogen peroxide to create a matrix for chemical resin to stick to.

Because it’s transparent wood, it’s a novelty, an exotic material.

Wonder what biomod community would want to make transparent…:thinking:

Next up How to make your money transparent so no one can see it to steal it. Followed by, the emperors new clothes.

2 Likes

Wood is pretty amazing though. Kept wet and prevented from dry rotting it essentially lasts forever. Though i wouldnt know how the epoxy resin would respond to being wet

It will not respond it will be just wet. :wink: It’s much worse to expose it to a sunlight since it fall apart in UV light (not instantly but in a few months/years). So forget about epoxy porch.

Puzzled engineer from the 1980’s: “Transparent wood?”
Self-Satisfied Scotty: “Aye, laddie! that’s the ticket!”

1 Like

Aluminum!!!