Total Download Size:   1.21 MiB
Total Installed Size:  9.47 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packages...
 timeshift-23.07.1-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst failed to download
 vte3-0.74.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst failed to download
 xapp-2.6.1-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst failed to download
 vte-common-0.74.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst failed to download
 Total (4/4)                          1242.5 KiB  25.6 KiB/s 00:49 [------------------------------------] 100%
error: failed retrieving file 'vte3-0.74.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.f4st.host : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'xapp-2.6.1-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.f4st.host : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'vte-common-0.74.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.f4st.host : The requested URL returned error: 404
warning: too many errors from mirror.f4st.host, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'timeshift-23.07.1-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.f4st.host : The requested URL returned error: 404
warning: failed to retrieve some files
error: failed to commit transaction (failed to retrieve some files)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
 -> error installing repo packages

How else could I get this installed in the meantime? Can I do a restore from a new install or does it need to be from the live boot? I want the new partition locations that I made and not have it reorganize the partitions, but I’m not sure how far the restore process actually goes.

Thank you

Is this on the live ISO or in an install?

If it is in an install you need to update before installing software. That is why you are getting the 404s.

Try yay -Syu timeshift instead.

If it is on a live ISO, you can try sudo pacman -Sy timeshift but that may not work. Make sure you are using the newest ISO.

Looks like you need to refresh your mirror list?

Rate your mirrors first.

For Arch: (all in one line)

rate-mirrors --protocol=https arch --max-delay 7200 | sudo tee /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

For EnOS: (all in one line)

rate-mirrors --protocol=https endeavouros | sudo tee /etc/pacman.d/endeavouros-mirrorlist

Then:

sudo pacman -Syyu

(Endeavour OS also needs arch mirrors.)

Then try using yay. Timeshift is also in the official repo:

sudo pacman -S timeshift

1 Like

That doesn’t look like a mirror issue to me.

The OP is trying to download old versions because the local DB is out-of-date.

It stems back to this post i made earlier, if you think there’s any possibility of rescuing that partition? Moved main partition to the left, system filetype now unknown - #8 by hwmpunk

If not, I will do the restore from timeshift, but I really want to be on a fresh partition with a fresh install if possible, before doing the restore. Otherwise if the restore comes out the same whether or not the restore is done on a fresh install vs on a partition-less system (with one corrupted Plasma partition) which is what I currently have, then I’ll just do it on the live.

If you are in an install, just use yay -Syu timeshift

1 Like

I’m in a weird position where my partition is corrupted, I linked the thread about what’s happening. pebcak bowed out because he didnt know what that error meant.

So I can either save that Plasma from death, or I do a restore either from the live boot which is where I’m talking to you now, or a fresh install before running timeshift. I just don’t know if timeshift will restore old partition locations and all, or if it can restore on a fresh copy of Plasma as well which is what would be the best case scenario.

I have never used timeshift in a recovery situation so I can’t answer your question there.

My procedure for a corrupted drive is this:

• Try to copy to a new external drive, as much data as possible, but only the files that are important (inside home directory).
  • Run diagnostics on the corrupted drive, physically replace it if there is any suspicion of hardware failure.
  • Reinstall OS if the affected drive is root.
  • Restore an older, regular backup, before corruption.
  • Manually restore important out of date files from the backup after corruption, manually checking that everything is intact. If it is not, the older backup will have to do.

No need for timeshift – just some discipline in keeping relatively fresh backups at all times, on external drives.

Kresimir, I do have fresh backups and I’m not too worried about the situation. What is regrettable is I had KDE tweaked so many ways that it would take a long time to figure it out, same with app tweaks and macros etc. I’ve long since forgotten everything that was done, and that’s what I was hoping time shift can restore.

My time shift restore was unsuccessful, and I have no idea how to change the new uuid to match the old, or edit the backup files to match the old uuid to the new one. My drive has been totally wiped with fresh install so I can continue work and have my partitions where I actually want them permanently now.

Here’s what my screen shows after the time shift restore is performed. I tried it twice and it comes out the same.

Kresimir, I do have fresh backups and I’m not too worried about the situation. What is regrettable is I had KDE tweaked so many ways that it would take a long time to figure it out, same with app tweaks and macros etc. I’ve long since forgotten everything that was done, and that’s what I was hoping time shift can restore.

My restore was unsuccessful, and I have no idea how to change the new uuid to match the old, or edit the backup files to match the old uuid to the new one. My drive has been totally wiped with fresh install so I can continue work and have my partitions where I actually want them permanently now.

Here’s what my screen shows after the time shift restore is performed. I tried it twice and it comes out the same.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.