Time to take an extended leave

I have switched from Arch/EndeavourOS to Debian. Not because EOS is a bad distribution; it’s an excellent Linux distribution, but I have grown weary of rolling releases. I just want to boot up my computer and go weeks or months without worrying about updating and upgrading. I’m using LXQt, but gave up Openbox for xfwm4. Turns out this is not a very big sacrifice.

Normally I wouldn’t announce my departure and usually silently comment on such with “Don’t let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out”.

However, I have to say this forum is excellent and friendly and I don’t plan on leaving it, if that’s OK. The Debian forum sucks compared to the EOS forum. Oh, the Debian forum is informative, helpful and useful, but lacks the comradery and family feeling that this forum engenders while delivering technical advice. And truth be known, I’m hooked on “A little joke on a regular day”.

15 Likes

You can still hang around, we won’t bite! :upside_down_face:

9 Likes

Well brother Ben … I see nothing wrong with switching to Debian at all. I myself have thought about possibly Fedora maybe end of 2024 if Wayland can stand on its own. Like you, I do imagine what will I do with all the extra free time if I am not fiddling in Arch Linux between updates and running tests to see if anything broke. I’m all about focussing on real productive work (tackling dreams over fiddle fiddle). And as your other brothers will tell you, you can always be on Debian and still hang with us. Best of luck on Debian (hope you will share your findings).

5 Likes

I love been busy and will always use Arch, Debian SID and a few others. Just do what makes you happy and hopefully keep your account open, drop by to say hi and read a few jokes. :+1:

8 Likes

You’re very welcome to stay in the purple space :purple_square: .
There are many active people here who don’t use :enos: as their daily driver (including me, but I’m not that active anymore).

This is one of the best places to hang around on the web. Best vibes no question.

8 Likes

As another Debian (sid)/ Eos aficionado, I have to say, “jump in the water’s fine”. I agree with the others who note that this is a very good community. People here have not really ‘even’ been bothered ‘too much’ by my vagaries. :crazy_face: I, also, believe the diversity of experience, needs and skills here helps round out responses and reflect a broader reality.

7 Likes

Just because you use another distro/platform doesn’t mean you’re immediate excommunicated, - feel free to hang out, contribute, support, do all the things you’d normally do. I have a mix of Linux devices, but as they say, a rising tide raises all ships. Community is community.

5 Likes

me too, I confess :innocent:, I used Pop OS for practical reasons since last Spring. I have been using EOS for about 2+ years, its a great distro. But this year not much time for using and maintaining a rolling release distro. Keep coming back to this forum, great people!

4 Likes

As already mentioned, there are quite a few active users here who don’t use EndeavourOS (or even Arch) as their main OS. Using EndeavourOS is certainly not a prerequisite for membership here.

7 Likes

Different strokes for different folks. I’m disappointed if there are no updates, esp when using newer hardware that typically gains with new optimizations.

2 Likes

Unless we are asked to, though! :partying_face:

3 Likes

honka_animated-128px-39

2 Likes

Wait were supposed to wait to be asked :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

«Ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis in nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti. Amen»

:prayer_beads:

5 Likes

The beauty of open source is that you can install whatever you want on your hardware (subject to compatability etc). I think this forum really upholds that principle.

1 Like

You’re a useful man to have around Fr. Pebcak. I may need an indulgence in case my curiosity gets the better of me and I install Tuxedo OS.

1 Like

Just " Stay awake and pray, so that you won’t enter into temptation."

But fret not, if I am not around, you can always get eAbsolution at: http://absolution-online.com/confessional/

:prayer_beads:

2 Likes

Same here. The regular updates (the more the merrier), the kind community with knowledgeable people and the looks of the OS are what makes me stick with EOS and this forum.

I will however also use, try, taste, have a look at other distro’s because it’s fun and educational.

1 Like

Damn that website is old. I’d have expected a confessional website to at least have HTTPS!

Remember, this is an old and old-fashioned business institution :wink: