Thunar crashes since today

How does one you rebuild thunar against the new version of gtk3?

At aa guess - you collect the package from the pacman cache, take it apart, edit the PKGBUILD to call the new version of GTK, and makepkg -si. Iā€™m sure someone will correct me if Iā€™m wrong :grin:

Strangely, though, none of my builds SO FAR have had this problem, thunar continues to function just fine despite the updates. Iā€™m on all AMD though - if that might make a difference?

1 Like

Pkgbuild from archlinux.ort lol

I am having the same issue as in the opening post. It turns out, Thunar crashes whenever it opens a directory with a .ods file (I have not tested any other file type, but it may have to do with file thumbnails?)

Running XFCE and this problem only started after todayā€™s update. PCManFM works fine.

This is not happening for me.

Not happening here either. All updates complete and Thunar working normally.

As I mentioned - all updates applied on several builds and no problems discovered with Thunar. I even went looking for .ods files (found 1!) and it was fine tooā€¦

Very strangeā€¦

Arch reports that the issue has been fixed with gtk3 1:3.24.28-4:

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/70416

2 Likes

Yes, it is very strange.

In my case, I didnā€™t have to do anything in Thunar to make it crash. I simply opened Thunar and it crashed on its own within seconds. Opening Thunar in a terminal gave me the error message mentioned by @lucky58 in the OP.

After I rebuilt Thunar and reinstalled, Thunar worked again for quite a while, but then the problem returned.

Also very strange: I had the problem in one Arch install but not in another.

Anyway, gtk3 1:3.24.28-4 is said to fix the problem, and we should see it in the repos soon. In the meantime, downgrading gtk3 fixes the problem.

Why is this not affecting everybody?

I have

gtk3 1:3.24.28-3
thunar 4.16.6-1

And it is working just fine. Including directories with .ods files.

Is this theme related? I am using Materia theme.

I have the same versions as you, also working perfectly.

`:+sssssssssso/.            Host: GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 
             `-/ossssssssssssso/.          Kernel: 5.11.13-arch1-1 
           `-/+sssssssssssssssso+:`        Uptime: 15 hours, 55 mins 
         `-:/+sssssssssssssssssso+/.       Packages: 1061 (pacman) 
       `.://osssssssssssssssssssso++-      Shell: bash 5.1.4 
      .://+ssssssssssssssssssssssso++:     Resolution: 1920x1080 
    .:///ossssssssssssssssssssssssso++:    DE: Xfce 4.16 
  `:////ssssssssssssssssssssssssssso+++.   WM: Xfwm4 
`-////+ssssssssssssssssssssssssssso++++-   WM Theme: Default 
 `..-+oosssssssssssssssssssssssso+++++/`   Theme: Arc-Dark [GTK2/3] 
   ./++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++/:.     Icons: Papirus-Dark [GTK2/3] 
  `:::::::::::::::::::::::::------``       Terminal: xfce4-terminal 
                                           Terminal Font: Monospace 12 
                                           CPU: AMD FX-8350 (8) @ 4.000GHz 
                                           GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 
                                           Memory: 1959MiB / 15988MiB 
Name            : gtk3
Version         : 1:3.24.28-3
Name            : thunar
Version         : 4.16.6-1

Not had any problems, but gtk3 was updated to 1:3.24.28-4 already - so the problem may be fixed now.

1 Like

I just had a crash while accessing a USB device. Downgrading to gtk3-1:3.24.28-2 has solved it.

My issue was with accessing a Windows drive, that I keep in here in case I need to send this laptop for repairs under warranty. Did a pacman -Syu, issue solved.

I still don`t have the -4 update, many mirror refreshes but I picked the wrong ones :frowning:

1 Like

So far the problem seems to be fixed for me.

Thunar had crashed immediately before the update. Since the update, Iā€™ve had no problem with Thunar.

1 Like

Looks like itā€™s fixed as i had an issue with it too on my Xfce with nvidia. I would try to open a directory and it would close thunar.

1 Like

Its fixed, i had the issue on my Xfce/i3 ā€œBender DEā€ and all is good now. :+1:t3:

I forgot to mention, but the video card used on this machine is an RTX 2060, using the nvidia driver package. At any rate, the new gtk3 update fixed it.

1 Like

After downgraded gtk3 yesterday, I updated today all packets : everything works good now - special thunar :slight_smile:
Thanks all!
Case closed.

3 Likes