Thoughts on homebrew on EndeavourOS?

Homebrew has worked well for me, first on macOS, then on Debian, and now on EndeavourOS. But…
It seems like things could go sideways with mixing two package management systems.
I don’t see any advice on the Arch wiki (other than for the Wii). I also see that a similar question was asked in April, but it quickly devolved before the discussion could progress.

Any thoughts specifically on using homebrew on EOS?

I guess the only real question I would ask . . . is why? What are you not currently getting that you want from homebrew? It seems like a ripe recipe for disaster personally, but give it a go in a VM and see what happens??

4 Likes

I think the rationale for homebrew is similar to that of flathub, it is an isolated environment for command line tools that doesn’t depend on, nor taint, the operating system’s own software.
Software can be installed, updated, and removed without using sudo.

I would never trust this. What prevents spyware from being installed in the background? Your computer your rules however for me this would not do

1 Like

I have used homebrew on macos but I don’t really see any value in using it on an Arch-based distro. Between the repos and AUR, you can get almost anything and it is all updated using a single tool.

But why is this a good thing? Installing packages doesn’t taint the operating system.

2 Likes

Sounds like an advertisement written with undefined buzzwords, dubious claims, and assumptive benefits, all to avoid the use of sudo. No thanks.

2 Likes

Agree completely.

That’s pretty much the bottom line. I see no benefit in using Homebrew at all on any Linux distro, Arch or otherwise.

Some distros have much more limited repos and access to packages.

In the past, I have used nix to easily get software I couldn’t otherwise get on those distros so I can see how someone might want to use homebrew the same way.

2 Likes

True. But with most distros, particularly any of the major distros, Homebrew would be unnecessary. But you make a valid point.

I would think Installing with sudo would be worse. Sudo has unfettered access to everything.

When installing packages from the repos, you aren’t running arbitrary scripts. You are running pacman which is installing files. Only .install files run scripts and those are uncommon and get additional scrutiny by the arch packagers.

Realistically, the majority of most peoples data is available to your normal user account so even a compromise without sudo can be devastating.

Yes, that’s a good point.

So I guess this part of the discussion comes down to a matter of trust. Trusting the contributors and maintainers of the arch repo, aur, homebrew, nix, et al.

I don’t think anyone has yet presented a technical argument against using homebrew.

Yes, this is what all software installations decisions should come do when comparing the various methods available.

I don’t have strong feelings like “You should never use homebrew” or anything like that.

However, I would argue that it is better use system libraries and dependencies whenever possible both because it reduces redundancy and ensures you aren’t running out-of-date, insecure software.

3 Likes

This is how I’m leaning too. Especially with how tetchy CUDA/python/tensorflow can be.

I’m not too much against using homebrew as a techie (even though I’m kind of a Linux noob). I personally don’t opt to on Linux distros which have a complete enough repo or the ability to add other trusted repo’s (Like Ubuntu/Debian’s ability to add other repos as PPA’s, and Arch’s AUR). Reason being is the disparity it can cause.

Like if I’m done using a package, and want to clean things up; when I go to remove some, I have to remember which one’s installed using pacman, yay, and adding Homebrew on top of it can add some complexity to that too.

That is the one thing that I did not like about Bazzite. Is during cleanup or use even, I really have to be good at remembering if I had it installed via ostree, distrobox, or flatpak. After a few rounds of that it had me kicking and screaming back to EndeavourOS. lol

1 Like

:point_down:

another reason to keep package management minimal is you will have several things to run to do updates for apps.

1 Like

Yes, a very valid point.

Same experience - a couple of times. I spent a week over Christmas trying to get everything working on Bluefin (which I really like), to no avail. Then spent a weekend later doing the same. I did learn some things about ddrescue, installing on to a USB drive, and most of all leaving the working system alone to fall back on.

It really depends on the use case. For a single system, I would not use anything outside of the repos/AUR (main reason I came here from Linux Mint). For me, though, I have a bunch of VMs that I need to have a few utilities (mainly fish shell) to be on the same version. For this, I use nix.

1 Like

Unless something changed recently, homebrew is an easy way to have an up to date version of neovim in Ubuntu

1 Like

Yesterday I needed to reinstall dvc, and after some faffing around with the aur version, I just brew installed it, and it worked like a charm.

I think I’ll continue to use it on a limited basis.

Thanks for the responses!