Things Gnome Can Already Do

A YouTuber I follow, has something I think worth sharing. 20+ things you never knew GNOME could do! - YouTube
dconf editor is worth a look, plus some handy power user options to make Nautilus even more awesome. Here is his list.

3 Likes

I believe most of these things can be done in KDE as well !

3 Likes

But this thread isn’t about KDE… It’s in the gnome section.

1 Like

I kind of like that YouTuber… I don’t like extensions… Gnome nails it on gestures for laptops and activity overviews. The only thing needed to navigate to my opinion is 1) tiling and 2) setting the keyboard shortcuts to mimick i3wm.

Did he do the golum voice ahah…

1 Like

i didnt know the volume steps one. its always annoyed me that you couldnt change it (cos i thought you couldnt)

1 Like

Of course. I just placed the fact related to hidden shortcuts availability in KDE :grinning: .
Sorry if you didn’t liked this.

…
:no_mouth:

1 Like

Dconf Editor is an awesome tool. There are a lot of option that just aren’t available in the regular settings menu, especially keyboard shortcuts. 4 workspaces not enough for you? open up dconf editor and map shortcuts for 12 :slight_smile:

Funny enough, I do the same. I really like what i3 brings, but I swear I can’t last more than 30 minutes without breaking something in the config.

3 Likes

gnome only my experience is kinda backwards like, i installed gnome in vm, but user-themes is exported to extentions… its nice and modern feel but stil not a fan of that :slight_smile: on rolling extentions breaks at first.

2 Likes

Each time something positive is posted about gnome we get a comment about KDE and how it is superior etc. It starts to become old. Perhaps not your intention, but would be nice to avoid the KDE vs gnome topic for once. It generally derails a bit into DE war and opiniated blabla.

5 Likes

I got your point.

I never compare DEs unless they are again Windows. I just meant to know whether I was right regarding the availability of those features.

I have not seen resizing windows from anywhere and file templates before.

The video mentioned Extensions Manager but he was using Fedora. I could not find that extension on default :enos: and Gnome install. Did I miss something?

Of course Gnome can do that. They have an extension for each. :rofl:

2 Likes

Think because it’s an AUR package

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/extension-manager

Also available as flatpak.

1 Like

Thank you. And I was searching for gnome-extenstions-manager - it’s all good now :smiley:

Let us know how you like it! I never tried it, I am also on and off on gnome about once a year and always curious to try it out again.

They look similar except Extension Manager has a tab to browse the Gnome extension library.