The system loads only via linux-lts

I want to use linux-zen. But the system only works with linux-lts.

I’m using grub. Systemd gave out a black screen even before the bootloader. I installed grub, but there is also a problem with it: the system boots only under linux-lts.
I have:
KDE Plasma
R3 1200
Gtx 1050ti
And very little experience in kernels

If one kernel works and the latest doesn’t, there’s very little you can do except wait for latest to get updated again.

Unless you’re a kernel developer in which case, you could possibly fix it.

Have a drink and relax for a few days, and give it a go again soon.

3 Likes

Are you going into advanced in the grub menu when it boots. This is where you will find the zen kernel entry with grub.

That’s not the problem. I know how to load a different kernel. The problem is that the system will not boot using linux-zen and linux kernels.

I just asked in case you weren’t aware. It would be helpful if you could also post your full hardware output. Post the url.

inxi -Faz | eos-sendlog

Do you need to enter this line into the grub console or is it already in the system? I’m sorry if this question is stupid.

This is a command to enter in the terminal. It will give you a url after it uploads the output to show your complete hardware.

Edit: There are no stupid questions. :wink:

https://0x0.st/XZYx.txt

When you installed the zen kernel did you install the headers also for the zen kernel?

Edit: I don’t see any issues with the hardware. Nvidia drivers are installed and loading. I did notice there is a newer UEFI Bios update for your motherboard with a new AMD AGESA and security fixes. That is something you could update when ever you wanted to.

Edit: You could check if the headers are installed for the zen kernel.

pacman -Qi linux-zen-headers

Checked, installed. For reliability, I wrote «sudo pacman -S linux-zen-headers».

I tried to enable it via linux-zen, it didn’t work.

I see you are using X11. Have you tried logging in with Wayland?

It is best if you show the output of commands that you are given to check so that one knows you have done it correctly and we can see that output.

ex: pacman -Qi linux-zen-headers

Edit: You did say that you installed the system with grub verses the default which is system-boot just to be sure.

Edit: In my grub command line i have added nvidia-drm.modeset=1 for Wayland. I’m not sure it is needed but i have added it as i also am using an Nvidia GTX 1060 gpu on KDE. If you try logging in with Wayland you can see what happens on both lts and the zen kernel.

Looks like you have two versions of the nvidia drivers installed.

Can you show the output of

pacman -Qs nvidia

?

Where are you seeing that? I didn’t notice so i must have missed that. :thinking:

It is in the inxi output.

This here?

Device-1: NVIDIA GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] vendor: Gigabyte driver: nvidia
v: 550.78 alternate: nouveau,nvidia_drm non-free: 545.xx+ status: current
** (as of 2024-04; EOL~2026-12-xx) arch:** Pascal code: GP10x
process: TSMC 16nm built: 2016-2021 pcie: gen: 3 speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 8
link-max: lanes: 16 bus-ID: 08:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1c82 class-ID: 0300

Edit: I thought that was just showing the alternate? :thinking:

Yup.
And it wouldn’t show an AUR alternative…

I used to use wayland, but now when choosing wayland I don’t load kde plasma; black screen. Also, when dragging windows, they move in a small fps (as if nvidia drivers are not installed).

Everything works fine with x11.

I’m a little confused with the output as i have the same and i do not have the 545.xx version installed. The only difference i have is i added nvidia-drm.modeset=1 in the grub command line.

Device-2: NVIDIA GP104 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] vendor: ASUSTeK
    driver: nvidia v: 550.78 alternate: nouveau,nvidia_drm non-free: 545.xx+
    status: current (as of 2024-04; EOL~2026-12-xx) arch: Pascal code: GP10x
    process: TSMC 16nm built: 2016-2021 pcie: gen: 3 speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 4
    link-max: lanes: 16 ports: active: none off: HDMI-A-1,HDMI-A-2
    empty: DP-1,DP-2,DVI-D-1 bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1b83 class-ID: 0300

You haven’t answered some of the questions such as do you have the current kernel installed? Can you boot on it? It doesn’t make any sense to me that your system will only boot and load on the lts kernel.