The state of Linux

Linux adopters are organizations and individuals who have moved from other operating systems to Linux.

:rainbow: :turtle:

3 Likes
7 Likes

In my opinion i think more should organizations switch to Linux. I can tell you from my perspective. Our city got hacked and it shutdown everything from policing to all city networks. It cost over a million dollars to rebuild and repair the network without paying anything out to hackers. If they had Linux it probably wouldnā€™t have happened so easily because it is much more secure than Windows! The money they pay for licensing is ridiculous!

6 Likes

What is Hurd???

6 Likes

This just dropped in:

2 Likes

Wow, too bad they didnā€™t stick to the old gentoo-based version of pardus. Thatā€™d be pretty ballsy for a state bureaucracy.

4 Likes

you never stop the OS/disto/DE fanboy/fangirl it human nature. It happen in all things mobile,computer,car,clothes and so on ā€¦ it not linux !! it human nature :wink: good luck try change that.

use what you want ā€¦ rest no matter as they have same choice as you

6 Likes

Excellent point. I really appreciate the sense of community that surrounds distros like EOS, and I sometimes wonder if itā€™s the first time some people experience that and identify with it so much as to take it to that extreme.

The psychology of tribalism in Linux communities :thinking:ā€¦now thereā€™s a book idea!

4 Likes

In reality, I see very little interest in desktop computers in those under 25 years old. I hate saying this, but those of us who are motivated and interested in how things work, and creating something for ourselves is a dying breed all in itself. A buddy of mine owns a company that makes salsa and guacamole. He laughs because guac is absurdly easy to make, yet, he sells it by the truck load at high prices because people donā€™t care to make anything for themselves anymore.

So what am I saying? Linux or not. People in general are very lazy. They donā€™t care to have opinions of their own, they want to be told on facebook. They donā€™t care to make anything for themselves, theyā€™d rather have uber eats and store made guac. They donā€™t care about computers even much anymore, just the newest iPhone or Galaxy.

I think that if they need a computer and it comes with WIndows and it works for 95% of what they need, they will use it. If that last 5% canā€™t be accomplished with their cell phone. . . they will use the incredibly helpful (yes, I used it recently, and itā€™s absurd how easy it was) Microsoft help app.

Google ChromeOS may actually be even better for many.

BUT, I have told people I use Linux, they say show me Linux. . . where to begin. Many have at least heard of Ubuntu. . . but Iā€™d never use it. . . Then tell them thereā€™s 100 different Linux. . . . I think the biggest state of Linux isnā€™t a Linux problem. People are so dumb and lazy today, and donā€™t care about anything unless itā€™s easy and given to them. Maybe Iā€™m dating myself, and this is NOT a complete blanket statement, thereā€™s obviously exceptions to everything - but the younger the person, the lazier and more content they are to just use what is given to them. The generation that thinks Encyclopedias are something from American Classic movies, that doesnā€™t remember rotary phones or even beepers.

I donā€™t know what we look like in another 20 years honestly unless something changes soon.

For now. I love our little distro. I love Arch and what it is. And weā€™re hoping to get as many people interested in Linux as we can before we completely lose our world to mobile phones and instagram.

18 Likes

I use a mobile phone for a purpose. Itā€™s a phone to me. Donā€™t like social media platforms at all. Especially Facebook but many others too such as TikTok, Instagram etc. I agree with you nobody cares to learn. They just want to click icons. Linux isnā€™t known because no one is advertising it. Itā€™s unknown to many.

2 Likes
1 Like

Thereā€™s an app for that! (c) :cold_face:

6 Likes

I consider Linux distros a lot like world languages. There are many, but through an interpreter or just by body language, we can understand each other (for the most part).

As for ā€˜the year of the Linux desktopā€™ - who cares? I much prefer using the underdog of the desktop (my opinion). It might not be glorious being an underdog; but then again you donā€™t have to worry about being a target for black hat hackers. There are always pros and cons with every OS. But the biggest vulnerability by far is the human using the OS.

11 Likes

This certainly isnā€™t helping thingsā€¦

7 Likes

Other than the server market which Linux dominates by a huge market, I donā€™t see Linux disappearing at all.
Each year, Linux (as a whole) seems to be advancing and marching towards windows for a final showdown. WHat scares me more isnā€™t If linux desktops will someday dominate the PC market, itā€™s If M$ releases itā€™s own version of Linux and starts practicing what they do in the M$ world on Linuxā€¦

2 Likes

Thatā€™s not goodā€¦

1 Like

I watched that the other day, and he makes good points.

I enjoy Linux as it is right now, but the state of it also prevents mass adoption. On the whole, people have never wanted to put forth more effort than strictly necessary with computers. Decentralization is great, but it also prevents pooling of resources and less eyes on any given part.

1 Like

Its not as bad as they are trying to paint it I was running stream for a year it not bleeding edge, and is stable it just uses packages that come from Fedora and that is pretty stable for a few years, obviously not the latest fedora packages a version behind its good testing for RH

5 Likes

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think it would be a bad thing for linux to gain significant enough desktop marketshare to seriously compete with MS and Apple, because that would be the death of the primarily FOSS nature of the linux desktop. A major marketshare would make linux just another arena for corporations and conmen to prey on people who donā€™t know any better and are too lazy to learn.

6 Likes