The OS regularly fails to boot

Hi, I have an issue that the OS regularly fails to boot. It gets past GRUB and sometimes (50%?) the login-screen doesnt appear. In that case I have to turn the computer off and start it up again until it finally launches. Could you please help me with this issue? I am actually a newbie. My laptop is Asus X555u.

I have tried various kernels (zen, lts). Those seem to fail to boot in higher percentage. I have also tried “journalctl -b” but I am actually not sure about what is the output nor whether it contains information about the previous “failed boot”. However, the output seems to contain multiple “red” lines including firmware or acpi bugs and a xorg dump (I use Wayland though). How do I filter the relevant issues? Thanks.

@Wulfie

Logs for troubleshooting can be accessed from the Welcome screen also. You may want to look at dmesg also for errors.

Okay, I tried to get the logs from the welcome app. I hope they will be useful.

Hardware info:

Current boot (the successful one):

Previous boot (a failed one):

In further debugging attempts I reinstalled endeavour anew, this time using i3 and installing bumblebee (Optimus graphics). The boot sucess is still random. Do you have any clue on how to fix this issue?

Hello @Wulfie
I see you have a hybrid type graphics. It doesn’t look like you installed the nvidia graphics when you installed EndeavourOS. Looks like your card is supported by the current drivers. I can tell you that i3 is going to be somewhat more difficult. So I’m not sure what you want to do. Bumblebee isn’t used that much anymore. Usually optimus-manager is what most install. So it does boot sometimes to the desktop? It must be only running on intel right now as i don’t see anything loaded for the nvidia graphics.

First thing i would try is set lightdm to check graphic.

sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

Un-comment this line and change to true.

#set logind-check-graphical=false

So it looks like this

set login-check-graphical=true

Then save and exit the file by pressing
Ctrl +Alt then o then enter to write it to the file.
Ctrl + x to exit

Reboot and see if any different.

Better practice: leave the commented line as it is, and add the line you want below it, so you’ll remember what you changed in case you need to revert.

3 Likes

And that is the single most useful practice that I ever started…

1 Like

It doesn’t look like you installed the nvidia graphics when you installed EndeavourOS. Looks like your card is supported by the current drivers. I can tell you that i3 is going to be somewhat more difficult. So I’m not sure what you want to do. Bumblebee isn’t used that much anymore. Usually optimus-manager is what most install.

I thought I installed the drivers correctly. I went through this where I clicked this. I managed to use sudo nvidia-installer-dkms -b without any errors. Furthermore, I picked Bumblebee for my computer is from I believe 2015 and the article mentions Bumblebee is for older systems.

And yes, it does sometimes boot and sometimes it doesnt. I will try your suggestions about lightdm.

1 Like

Wow, this seems to indeed work. I have rebooted atleast 10 times and it always suceeded. What does this command do?

As a side note, I really find Sway on Wayland better than i3. This might sound as a strange question, but would this fix work when using Sway?

The output that you provided a link for doesn’t show that it as using the nvidia driver but they may be installed as you said. It’s just running on Intel only. I’m not sure how Bumblebee works to switch graphics especially on I3 and i don’t think nvidia supports sway with wayland yet.

Device-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce 930M] driver: N/A bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1346 

I don’t have a lot of experience with the configs of i3. But i see you managed to get it working with my suggestion for lightdm.

You’ll have to read the section on Bumblebee if you have it installed and see if it actually is working or not. I don’t have much experience with Bumblebee. Not sure how it works with i3?

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.