The magic of endeavouros/nvidia-installer-dkms

Just out of interest: can someone explain what endeavouros/nvidia-installer-dkms exactly does?

On my plain Arch install i need nvidia-dkms to get the screen brightness properly working with Gnome. But on EOS there is no nvidia dkms module running. How is it possible?

dkms status
broadcom-wl, 6.30.223.271, 5.10.13-arch1-1, x86_64: installed
pacman -Qs nvidia
local/egl-wayland 1.1.6-1
    EGLStream-based Wayland external platform
local/lib32-nvidia-utils 460.39-1
    NVIDIA drivers utilities (32-bit)
local/libvdpau 1.4-1
    Nvidia VDPAU library
local/libxnvctrl 460.39-1
    NVIDIA NV-CONTROL X extension
local/nvidia 460.39-4
    NVIDIA drivers for linux
local/nvidia-installer-db 2.4.14-2
    Database for the script to setup nvidia drivers in EndeavourOS
local/nvidia-installer-dkms 3.3.8-3
    Script to setup nvidia drivers (dkms version) in EndeavourOS
local/nvidia-settings 460.39-1
    Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
local/nvidia-utils 460.39-1
    NVIDIA drivers utilities

Thanks!

1 Like

Magic.

2 Likes

is an install script to handle packages install for nvidia GPU…
as i can see you have nvidia installed and not nvidia-dkms package… sorry i see no magic, and also the modules will be the same, dkms is only there to automatic build modules for all installed kernels instead of using nvidia-lts as extra package if you install linux-lts…

says it already

Ok, new try. I installed EOS with the nvidia options. I’ve read the Nvidia installer wiki article and dived into the nvidia-installer-dkms source code. Pretty sure that nvidia-dkms should be installed. But it’s not, that`s my point.

I noticed during the updates that no nvidia dkms module is built. And yet nvidia runs perfectly, which is only possible with dkms module at arch. As i said, just out of interest. Maybe nonsense, maybe magic… i`ll find it out. Thanks.

Ahhh, thank you Joe! Thinking error on my part regarding dkms modules. Sorry for confusion…

if you use nvidia option from install it will install nvidia driver and not nvidia-dkms, a sinstaller is not using this script. it is to install on installed systems or to revert to nouveau driver, and there is also nvidia-installer (no dkms).
On experience it can be more secure to use dkms version as it will build on every kernel update, and it happens in the past that kernel gets updated and nvidia driver not, what will lead in not loading X system…

1 Like

Now i got it. Quiz solved. Thank you @joekamprad :+1:

1 Like

If you know exactly what drivers you need, you don’t need this script, just install the drivers from the repos or the AUR. But if you want to have it automatically detected and installed, this script is for you.

1 Like

My confusion arose because I assumed the EOS installer (with Nvidia enabled) was using the endeavouros/nvidia-installer-dkms script.

Thank you everyone for explaining. :+1:

1 Like