The Future of Immutable File Systems?

I forgot to mention another immutable, zero-trust image: ChromeOS.

1 Like

Android OS broadly could be seen as an immutable OS,
For all those Ubuntu lovers out there, take VanillaOS for a spin.

The BlendOS could become a fad, but if everything falls into place (as less bugs as possible) it could be the future of Linux. Then finally conceited users of MacOS and Windows would stop saying each major Linux distro is its own operating system. :confused:

I had somebody in another forum saying Linux is ā€œmanyā€ operating systems which burned me up. To help convince someone like that, might have to stop making a difference between a tarball, DEB, RPM, XBPS or whatever is recognized by which package manager. (Not sure what is the suffix of the compressed file for Void Linux.)

Somehow I think itā€™s a good idea, but if itā€™s well executed, it could put some contenders out of shop. But it could present the user with ā€œtoo muchā€ choice which leaves doubtsā€¦

Yeah Iā€™m going to need a powerful computer I cannot afford now.

Wait until SteamOS 3 for PCs arrives. It is currently limited to Steam Deck and its derivatives are not immutable.

Iā€™m not into fads. Iā€™m only interested in EndeavourOS thatā€™s why Iā€™m here. Itā€™s not immutable and never will be. :laughing:

Iā€™ll be interested in SteamOS when it comes for desktops. But if itā€™s going to be immutable, itā€™ll get the cold shoulder.

1 Like

It is currently immutable and I donā€™t expect that to change.

You are right. Steam, is technically unchangeable. I had no idea they were taking it to the next level.

1 Like

The bad thing is that the distro is quite limited. For example there is no overlaying system by default (ie. you cannot install packages) and afaik system updates arenā€™t applied when system is running.

You can layer with rpm-ostree.
Also, packages installed in a toolbox or distrobox container are available in Silverblue.

I meant SteamOS.

Donā€™t know that guy! :laughing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHC1230OpOg

Even I know the benefits of immutable file systems (such as better security thanks to sandboxed apps, better for computer illiterate people without breaking the system,ā€¦); I donā€™t think immutable file system is suitable to me tho. I have learnt a lot from Linux from breaking my system, search about the resolution on the Internet and fix it (tho, sometimes it go a bit too far such as destroying my old laptop UEFI firmware when switch from legacy to UEFI boot; thanks my faulty UEFI BIOS for that); or sometimes breaking my DE/WM or even have my Linux Mint partition wiped out thanks to a Prime OSā€™ bugs.

Even when those breaking my cost me quite a bit of time and money (I want my operating system to be tinkered to my need so I usually try something new with my systems, changing the configs, swap some packages for another even when the currents works quite well, which then lead to those breakings above); I didnā€™t regret it and think what Iā€™ve learn may be even better than many crappy online Linux courses or those in university (I may be somewhat kind of people who learn better from experience, and many of us are also like that too).

Sorry for being out of topic. In my opinion, tho, those immutable linux distros and file systems arenā€™t anything new, just something being recently get a lot of focus. Some Linux-based system, such as Android has long been doing it for far better extent from the distros you said; in Android every application are being isolated in VM-like sandboxes and can only access resources when the OS approves (which can be altered by the user).

No, donā€™t bring AppArmor or SELinux here, these things only manage file systems to allow applications access files they really need and not implement any kind of sandbox at all.

And changing the file system from immutable to mutable in those distros above especially if those immutable system managers break is kind of headache too. And library sharing or communication between applications. And convincing developers to change their applications / write manuals of their applications for those immutable systems also.

2 Likes

Computer illiterates that use unattended kiosks deployed by government agencies as cost cutting measures.

I can relate to that, but now I worked out how to get UEFI BIOS running secure boot.

thatā€™s where containerization comes in with toolbox, distrobox, or layering with rpm-ostree.

let me guess, you root your phone :rofl: