The Distro Classic Game!

I rarely take even things I SHOULD take seriously to heart…:grin: I noticed they had a fact or two wrong, and missed out the true (that I know of) release that introduced x-windows - and I think the first to make a go of ATI graphics to run Motif (for instance) on X. Of course you had to guess at vblank intervals, and scan rates, and match them to your monitor and… (bricking only only a typo away! - and rumour had it that explosive bricking of monitors was possible - after all they were CRTs)

Right… OK.

Ok indeed. I suppose, technically speaking, that it was actually an IMplosion -but you certainly wouldn’t have a monitor afterwards. Not sure if it applied only to colour monitors (higher power levels) as far as non-invasive implosions were concerned - but…

2 Likes

@freebird54, you’re now my favourite Peron on this forum. Please have a free heart.

AUROX

AuroX

Now that was a rare classic distro. I had never heard of it. Thanks!

Not getting any takers on my teaser - so take a look at TAMU. Amazingly simple for something that came in a box of (many) floppies! Ncurses-based installer, set up lilo for you, drivers for nearly everything mainstream at the time - and ran like stink on a 386 (I even set mine up for multi-user for others to have a programming “work” zone as well).

As for Aurox - have to translate to figure out what it was!

1 Like