[testing] Kernel and nvidia, potential issue

OK, so (to me) that sort of topic sounds like it could just go into #announcements .

For example, there are things that are being discussed upstream that may not have made it to testing yet but people might want to be aware of.

Putting those types of things in announcements seems too strong.

3 Likes

#development then. I dunno. :grin:

I guess i need to be aware of this also since i am running an Nvidia GTX 1060 on dkms?

Only if you are on testing.

Should we install it beforehand? Or only when the 5.11 is available to download?

That depends actually on what upstream does to fix this potential future problem.

1 Like

So they may fix it before itā€™s released then?

Yes they can.

But of course it is possible to install the package beforehand, shouldnā€™t hurt either.

1 Like

Yes please, add [testing] to the thread title to avoid confusion. I already got a little scaredā€¦ :roll_eyes:

Thanks for the info though!

1 Like

How about a flashing ā€œALERTā€ in red. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you! :pray:

2 Likes

Itā€™s a small package with no extra dependencies (for me, at least) so I just installed it just in case.

1 Like

pahole seems to be a dependency of linux-headers 5.11.arch2-1 now:

https://archlinux.org/packages/testing/x86_64/linux-headers/

3 Likes

Does this mean no worries installing the 5.11 kernel with Nvidia?

1 Like

If the dependency is correctly tagged linux-headers should pull it down, shouldnā€™t it?

Correct - dependencies are now met with the packages currently in testing.

2 Likes

Is this the bug that drops me into an emergency shell after grub? I donā€™t have problems on my endeavour install (intel based laptop), but my arch install with an nvidia card was doing it once my kernel (LTS) was updated to 5.10. I dropped it back to 5.4 and itā€™s fine. I tried the standard kernel afterwards (non-lts) and it also dropped me into an emergency shell. Iā€™m just glad I keep my pacman cache well-populated ;-D

Have you looked at this?

I havenā€™t but Iā€™m pretty sure I had to modify grub with the modeset -1 at one point in the past. Iā€™ll check it out. For now I just put linux-lts and linux-lts-headers in my ignore list on pacman.conf.