Testing install with vm and multiple hdd

I have a vm setup with 2 attached hard drives. I am practicing the install process before going live on my daily driver. My intended setup is to run /home on a separate hard drive hence the 2 drives in virtualbox.

After getting btrfs setup during the install and get the system rebooted to a live system i install timeshift and timeshift autosnap. When I add the /@home subvol to the snapshot timeshift cries about the subvolume layout needs to be ubuntu style. When I omit /@home its fine. I have looked at the mount.conf and everything appears to be just fine since I am not editing it. Except i did add ssd, discard=async, space_cache=v2 otherwise everything else is out of the box.

Timeshift doesn’t support that. @home and @ need to be in the same filesystem. They can’t be on separate partitions or disks. When it comes to btrfs, timeshift is extremely limited.

I don’t think there is any reason to do that. Btrfs will autodetect the ssd and the other two options are the defaults.

Thats not what I wanted to hear. I was hoping to have everything in the snapshot. Im still new to the this whole btrfs and timeshift thing. In your opinion would i be loosing anything by not including /home since its on it owns disk drive? The idea is to keep /home separate in case I have to reload again.

As for options I did not know they were automatic.

I think it depends what you are trying to accomplish with the snapshots.

Snapshots of the root filesystem are most useful when things break and you need to either restore or view data from a prior point in time.

Snapshots of /home are usually used as part of a data recovery strategy.

Everyone has a different approach to how they backup their data. For me, I have used the snapshots of my user data vastly more than I have ever used a root snapshot.

Some things to keep in mind:

• Timeshift isn’t the only way to create and manage btrfs snapshots.
  • Your snapshots will always be on separate for different subvolumes. In general this is a good thing.
1 Like

I think this has changed since Linux Mint took over the project. From their Github site - https://github.com/linuxmint/timeshift#supported-system-configurations - unless I’m reading this wrong, different BTRFS volumes are supported now.

After reading Teejee Tech’s web site; they claim timeshift does not touch user data (documents, music, photos), only system data. My biggest need is to undo things that i do that could potentially break my system. I also like to be able to undo things after trying out applications if I don’t like them. Ill have to figure out a solution for user data.

It would seem that is true:

@ and @home subvolumes may be on same or different BTRFS volumes

That is good news. It is good to see some improvements there.

That site is old; Linux Mint took over the project about a year ago. While Timeshift’s defaults are to only snapshot /, it can snapshot /home as well. Tbh, I’m not sure what happens when a restore is activated if /home is part of the mix.

This is one of many reasons why I moved to snapper.

true that