Terminal Word game :) A great intro to the terminal

paccache -d ~ paccache removes old packages from the pacman cache directory.
-d flag performs a dry run, only finding candidate packages.

1 Like

:rofl: does options too count?

Yeah, I’m not sure if flags count, so I’ll fix it now.

detox - Detox is a utility designed to clean up filenames. It replaces difficult to work with characters, such as spaces, with standard equivalents.

Example
before:
The Rolling Stones
after:
The_Rolling_Stones

3 Likes

xdg-open - opens a file or URL in the user’s preferred application

1 Like

ncmpcpp - music player (front end for mpd)

1 Like

printf - format and print data

Like echo but provides better formatting features. Resembles C language function printf().

figlet - display large characters made up of ordinary screen characters

2 Likes

tldr - man pages shortened with most common examples

Example:

patryk@patryk-pc ~ % tldr top
# top                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Display dynamic real-time information about running processes.                                                                                                                                                                              

- Start top:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

top                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

- Do not show any idle or zombie processes:                                                                                                                                                                                                   

top -i

1 Like

reboot - reboot the machine

tmux (ofc) - it’s a terminal multiplexer for anyone who don’t know

xrandr - I use it to change monitor align from cli, probably you can do way more with that.

reflector - select and rank Arch mirrors

Very useful for sorting mirror issues.

1 Like

rm - remove directory entries

man - man is the system’s manual pager

I would die without it…

make - maintain, update, and regenerate groups of programs

Last was from @patryk ‘N’

nmtui - Text User Interface for controlling NetworkManager

@ringo I guess that we should check wheter something was used before, nmtui is doubled now, as @Maddi used it before :wink:

But continuing:
iostat - nice tool to watch how your disks are performing with I/O operations

1 Like

transmission-cli bittorrent client

iostat - The iostat command is used for monitoring system input/output device loading by observing the time the devices are active in relation to their average transfer rates. The iostat command generates reports that can be used to change system configuration to better balance the input/output load between physical disks.

@patryk true story :slight_smile: yeah some is double we should raise the level :slight_smile: ctrl - f find some stuf :slight_smile:

tee - read from standard input and write to standard output and files