Terminal not showing actual text

I just switched to noto sans and still have the box issue.

In the terminal, right click on your page to bring up preferences-appearance- next to use system fonts. Change your fonts to a different font.

1 Like

Thanks. That fixed the issue.

Oh wow. Mine were blurred. Im not suggesting this, but what i did in the end was install arch using the archfi script and moved endeavour repo there so that i could still get theendeavour benefits.

Ok cool glad you got it sorted

That may be a monitor resolution problem, or your OS might get your monitor res wrong.

Could be, but endeavour is the only os i jave had that problem with, even with multiple installs. With that beinh said, I love this community and would never bash their efforts, which is why i added their repos. After their next update, i will try the iso install again, but until then, this is what solved my problem.

Continuing the discussion from Terminal not showing actual text:

You could try antergos. I would recommend making a new topic on this forum.

Truth is, i installed this os 4 differwnt times with the same issue. All fonts were tested the 4th time pre and post update. The results were the same. Im using a tv which displays 1360x768. But that is just my experience. I might try the torrent to see if i have the same issue. But I will give that thread a read over and see what they are talking about.

Scince this is such an erly stage in endeavour, it might only support 1920x1080. Also if you are on kernel 5.2 or higher it may be a kernel issue. If you are on 5.2 or higher, you cloud try installing on 4.18.

I didn’t think of that. Might give it a shot. My thing is just why do they chang AFTER I update. Pre updateand pre/post install they are all fine.

Yeah, just tried it again with your suggestion of the lts kernel and still no dice.

@timms5000 @Kaz @jay I have just reinstalled Endeavour Xfce using the latest beta ISO endeavouros-devel-2019.07.16-x86_64
I can confirm that after updating the fonts in the terminal are blocks. I set the preferences in the terminal to have the fonts set as DejaVu Sans Mono Block. I also found the fonts in mousepad were also blocks when i tried to use it in terminal. It is now set to Mono space regular. I have no blurred characters and everything is good. I found if you set it to use system fonts that it wasn’t any good. This is all you have to do to have clear proper text in the terminal.
Installing the lts kernel is not going to change the fonts. If you type xos4 in the font box that’s what they look like.

Screenshot_2019-07-31_19-40-32

1 Like

The problem is caused by latest pango update
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=248032

You can set monospace font to be used by your system like @ricklinux said or downgrade the package while you wait for a new update.

Install downgrade
sudo pacman -S downgrade
downgrade pango
version 1:1.42.4-1 is working fine.

2 Likes

@fernandomaroto I purposely reinstalled just to confirm there was this issue because it’s throwing some people off. I didn’t know which package was causing the issue but thanks for bringing it to our attention. The other issue is that it is generating ALL the locales which makes the install very slow. I don’t recall this happening on previous installs. Is it not supposed to set the locale for the country you pick in the installer?

@ricklinux when i set it to use system fonts on mine, it looks fine. I did a few other installs in my system with xfce and I’m having the same issue All the way through now, but system fonts do look fine on my end. The rest for me are blurred and squished. I don’t think i seen the other fonts as blocks for me, but I’ll double check after i get done reinstalling.

As @fernandomaroto has said you can downgrade the pango package if you like until the new update fixes the issue. Okay! This is coming from Arch.

1 Like

Last question I promise @ricklinux can I just get rid of the pango package or does that depend on anything else in the system?

It’s a library for rendering text so ya i think so.

Thanks @ricklinux Thank you @fernandomaroto for putting that there to make it easy after install/upgrade