TechHut seems to be on eos

I did and have seen this video before, i just disagree with the question itself and misleading “myth” sentiment which is somewhat different. :upside_down_face:

Doesn’t mean there are no valid arguments to hear, it’s just pointless.
Since whole education system this days are pointed towards almost machine learning memorizing - which again is…Very different topic to “learning”.

Well, you can’t argue with that!

So, we just “call it a day”!

1 Like

Yours is a different “use case” and I see why a YT video in general might not suit you. But there are ones for specific questions as well like " how to use ventoy? Likely less than a minute video.

Anyways the part that I found “unfair” in your first post, if you ask me, is this:

Maybe it isn’t “just because”.

Maybe it all started, in many cases, because someone was really interested in something, was good at it and wanted to share that with others. If others have found it interesting and the person now has an audience and makes money out of it,…, so I really don’t understand you comment.

1 Like

i was making an overly-general statement. my comment has its origins in the frustration of searching the web for a very specific question like how to enable feature x, and finding only 5 to 10 minutes video “tutorials” for what should be a 10 second thing. Basically people make tutorials for what should be a 2 paragraph text. So my legitimate assumption is that it’s about making money out of youtube content. Some content has its place being a youtube video, like a documentary, or like veritasium videos which treat a subject in a more in-depth manner, or summaries of complex topics.

1 Like

Well, I am glad that you admit that it is an assumption.
The only judge here about its legitimacy, can not be but yourself.

Yeah I can see what has triggered you after reading my initial blanket statement regarding youtube tutorials being made with money making intent in mind. It was an overly-broad statement that I’ve written without really thinking deeply about it. I actually had a special type of tutorials in mind, but didn’t add that in my post.

1 Like

The people who are genuinely after money make small videos as lengthy as 10m just to show something small as you said. But there are many other videos that are helpful. You might have a hard time scanning video but personally, I can jump around to see what I want without watching the entire thing using the thumbnails.

Anyway, different people use different methods to memorize or learn. You use reading, I use visuals, and someone else might use practical implementation. I don’t disagree with anyone only thing things we do is specific to us.

I have this awful habit of watching Tech Hut videos, and he says he’s only doing it so he can test it and then review it for an upcoming video, so it’s nothing permanent by any stretch of the imagination.

2 Likes

I’ve just recently started watching his videos. So far I like it. He seems to know what he is talking about and is cool about it.

For me, it depends on the subject I’m learning. When it comes to most technical topics, like programming and sysadmin stuff, I strongly prefer to read books, written tutorials, and wiki articles. This is because videos make me impatient and I lose interest and my mind wanders off thinking about something else. Then I have to re-watch the video, because I missed something important when I wasn’t paying attention, and I have to find where that important information is in the video, which is also a pain…

But when it comes to learning to use a GUI application like Blender, I actually prefer video tutorials, because text can get too verbose. It’s quicker when someone just shows you something (assuming the video tutorial is well-made, and not drawn-out or full of “smash that like button” bloat).

So I can happily spend 5-6 hours reading a book about C++, but a 20 minute video on C++ is completely beyond my attention span. And I can watch someone paint in Krita, explaining what they are doing for 2-3 hours, and I find it interesting and I learn more than by reading a wiki article about the brush tool in Krita.

So it really depends on what I’m learning.

8 Likes

This morning he was installing Ubuntu.

1 Like

Sorry, what I meant is for someone like me who likes to write documentation and present/teach would love to team up with a video production expert so I could learn to make tutorial videos for our community. So in that case this is where it would be useful to have a mentor to help me learn how to author my own videos so I would have a certain quality level which is consistent with other Video\tutorial makers in our community.

I would not want to interfere with someones income stream. I just want to play my knowledge forward.

1 Like

I tend to agree with @Kresimir on this: it depends what you are learning. I wonder though if there is a slight generation gap thing here? I obviously don’t know the age of other forum members but it seems to me that younger people are more into video/visual/computer game stimulation whereas older generations still sometimes have a preference for text-based tutorials and reading books. This is of course a generalization.

@wordler
That is partially true, but there always have been two kinds of learners; one who can learn it all from books or one that needs a teacher to be able to read the books.
At school, I was the one that belonged to the last category. I needed a teacher to to give me that introduction to the material, before I was able to go further with the book on my own. (I’m 47, so I don’t know which category, age-wise, you put me in. :wink:)

1 Like

There are video tutorials on that subject also, although most of them are paid courses and I couldn’t agree more. There goes a lot of research and time to make such videos.

I have an alternative explanation, let me know whether I’m correct or not.

I think you needed a teacher to push you out of your comfort zone. In my experience, the teachers really do not teach all that much. Sure, they explain things and make them easier to approach, but one does most of the learning oneself. The main purpose of teachers is to nudge the student in the right directions and make it uncomfortable for him or her to stay ignorant :wink:

2 Likes

the Techhut guy is a little boring but he gives a good intro for beginner Linux users.

No, I find the same. I don’t want to watch three to five minutes of someone introducing themselves and their setup and what they’re going to talk about today. I want to be able to read though and read back over the information, scanning and comparing different sources without having to squint at a low-resolution image of someone else’s screen.

However, it’s easier to monetise a video, and for some reason people seem to like them. They prefer to watch a video than spend 5% of the time reading the same information as text. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Except maybe for an appendectomy …

Youtube tutorials have their place - usually for very specific things! For instance, seeing someone actually straighten out bent CPU pins for install - or actually operating certain GUI software (like ckb-next for RGB) apps can be very helpful - and being the equivalent of thousands of words :grin:

On the other hand, attempted monetization has a lot to answer for!

1 Like