"Tales of Disto-Hopping"

Arch was not booting on my “disto-tester”. Wasn’t finding either the Linux or Linux-LTS kernels. So, remembering my Linux distro training, I wiped my hard drive while loudly declaring Arch to be an “unstable piece of crap” and rolling-release distros in general to be NOT READY FOR PRIME-TIME ON A DAILY USE DESKTOP!!!. I’m now running [NEW DISTO] and IT’S THE BEST-EST THING EVER!!!
…just kidding of course.
I grabbed a boot usb, chroot’ed into the drive, re-installed linux (and linux-lts), rebooted back into Arch then ran yay to get everything up to date. It took maybe 10 minutes. Along the way, I found the “db.lck” was still in place (had to manually remove it). So, more than likely, I inadvertently shut an update down before it had finalized.

7 Likes

That was mostly the only thing I understood from your posting. No idea what chrooted even means or why anyone on Arch would use LTS kernels but I’m running EOS and Manjo exclusively as prime-time daily riders. Most unproblematic user experience evaaar!

ROFL
Same here - only 6 minutes for a fresh USB install cures all, and another 10 minutes with Timeshift gets it back to the way it was yesterday…

But yes, when it goes wrong… you realise that Manjaro/EOS/anything you’ve been loving while it runs smooth can easily be your worst enemy.

All OS’s suck, just some suck a bit less than others.

1 Like

Why would it? When an update doesn’t go through, I just leave it alone and compute on as it were before the failed update. Sometime in the next couple days they guys upstream will have figured it out and everything’s hunky dory again. And who in the whole wide world has the time to care about OSes more than absolutely necessary anyway?

It’s great isn’t it?

Simple chroot that all entry level Arch users know how to do. Finish an update. It’s so very basic and yet, it’s what makes this great. You only need to reinstall if you want to spend the time doing it again. Arch is truly amazing in so many ways.

Glad it was a nice simple fix, as it usually ends up being.

It is but not always. I had a working system since December, everything was perfect, but then it sneaked in some problems update upon update, which I didn’t realize, too much work. The computer cpu started over heating, and computer stopped suspending properly. It got worse and worse. Not so amazing this time around. Never had that in past two yrs using eos.

I fixed it but at present running pop OS on this hardware, had no time to fix and try eos again on it. So in a way I had a distro hop on this hardware, and actually enjoy the laziness of installing everything thing from the pop store, and everything working out if the box, it even pulls additional Lenovo firmware. Will see how long that lasts, never thought I could find a Ubuntu based distro enjoyable again, but hey, it works.

1 Like

Everyone’s mileage varies. But that’s very similar to be Arch experience.

I do need to try POP again. As much as I don’t like gnome 3.38 or even Ubuntu, I remember thinking similar to you in that, install and everything basically just works.

I think it’s really high up there with Mint as one of the best beginner distros there is.

1 Like

Better than that, Arch has arch-chroot, which brings in things you need. Playing with Gentoo on the other partition and they just walk you through adding in what you need. Sort of a DIY arch-chroot :wink:

…that being said though, it would seem I need to educate myself on “compile optimization”.

1 Like

…and, all THAT being said, I’m going to redo the Gentoo install. I’m convinced I can set the compiler flags better and, well, there’s only one way to find out :).

I also need to give LMDE 5 a look now. LMDE 4 was the only test disto that could not auto-detect my USB WiFi on that machine. I was able to fix it by grabbing a later back ported Debian kernel, but I’m curious to see if it “just works” now (I mean, even the Gentoo ultra-minimal boot USB “just worked”). Also, had I stayed with Mint, I was seriously considering transferring to LMDE 5. I was getting a little concerned with the direction Canonical is going and it seemed like the right time to make that switch.