Systemd-boot? because I still only want 1 partition!

Oh i see he has MBR but converted to GPT. I guess to get around the limitations of MBR with partitions?

currently he switched of uefi and using mbr in this case, to do transformation it must convert to gpt to use efi and install systemd-boot

1 Like

@driver69
If you have a working system now, why break it? Are you going to expand it somehow?

I using systemd-boot just i like the vendor logo at boot, could stayed at grub actually, but vendor logo didnt work somehow :slight_smile:

I assume that you intend to re-partition and re-install your system and backed-up documents. If your computer is uefi-compatible (most computers now are), you should be using a uefi installation. Whether it’s a straight Arch install or an Endeavouros install, re-partitioning your SSD/HDD is a breeze. I prefer to use cfdisk which I find much easier and informative than GParted, but it doesn’t matter. The important thing is that your SSD/HDD must be partitioned as GPT. You set this in cfdisk before doing anything else and the same must be true of GParted. On endeavour OS, you can just create a new single ext4 partition (also shown as linux partition). Then in the endeavour install, go for the ‘erase disk’ option for partitioning and the installer will give you a nice efi partition on /dev/sdX1 of about 300M and an ext4 partition using the rest of the disk. The installer will then install GRUB2 in boot/efi without you having to worry about anything. Personally, in Arch Linux I use bootctl, but that option is not currently available in endeavouros, I believe.

Hi @Beardedgeek72 your choice of EFI 500Mb is near from the gdisk author who suggest 550Mb already spoken here. (Mb = Mo)

For an EFI partition, Arch recommends 260 - 512 MiB for the ESP (/boot or /boot/efi) if using systemd-boot. I always set the /dev/sda1 to 512MiB, but I’m no expert. At the moment, my /boot partition is using just 46MiB.

I run Arch on a UEFI pc and install boot to the EFI partition. I dual boot with Windows 7. I keep my bootloader “rEFind” along with my, initramfs and fallback initramfs there and have no trouble with the size of my EFI partition.

ID-2: /boot size: 96.0 MiB used: 83.4 MiB (86.8%) fs: vfat 

An if you folks are trying to create a modern OS why on earth are you using old programs like grub ?

It may be advantageous giving rEFind a try. 

[https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/REFInd](https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/REFInd)

:sunglasses:

ok I thought about another topic but I’ll add to this one instead…
Since I started this thread, I must have reinstalled and went with a vfat partition as well as ext4
And now I’m running bootctl (what ze Germans used to call gummiboot)
In an ideal world I want a single ext4 partition WITHOUT grub but dunno if that is possible?
Can rEFInd handle that?
Following my boot issues this morning I’ve been looking into ‘boot configs’ and it’s certainly not very ‘tidy’
eg why do we have /boot/efi/EFI/systemd/systemd-bootx64.efi AND /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI
and why is my ‘systemd boot’ using BOOTX64.EFI and not systemd-bootx64.efi
And whose daft idea was it to have TWO EFI folders!!?? :grimacing:

Just use rEFInd and boot from the vmlinuz-linux image on UEFI system.

i use one EFI folder :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I was using eEFInd…then I discovered it was the work of ONE guy
RESPECT for his brainpower BUT when he pops it, likely development will stop
AND he drives a Tesla or he used to…with all the hanging around waiting for them to charge up he’s more likely to get mugged…stupid cars :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

pure systemd-boot is still very hacky to set up, i get it working… but still need a second partition for it

1 Like

yes wish I could have just one ext4 partition with systemd-boot…heaven!
I have my problem return! Any ideas on this Boot issue....is grub poo? having a fat partition defo is! lol

It looks like one is systemdboot and the other is grub? Or maybe I’m wrong?

Yeah this got me thinking recently. Are some of us doing double partitioning for boot? I’m a bit confused about this!

just re-installed systemd-boot, but i just started to my boot clean :stuck_out_tongue: but ending with set wrong root id :slight_smile:

hi @ricklinux updated other thread with my config! cheers

why did you reinstall out of interest? simple case of ‘bootctl install’?

i reinstalled because of some chroot some weird issues, and have Grub right back…

but bootctl --path=/boot install did not work out really much.

more or less i followed this how to https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/set-up-systemd-boot-on-arch-linux/

with https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/systemd-boot

more or less, i ended up just reformated the boot partition. to Fat32,
blikd it to get the needed uuid , and mounted that to /boot in /etc/fstab and mounted manually /boot to that partion, and did that bootctl --path=/boot install

take the example as wiki changed the uuid first time picked the wrong uuid, it was from the home
must be root :stuck_out_tongue: so system was unbootalble but chrooted in, and fixed that dont forget also reinstall linux kernel and amd-ucode as for amd :slight_smile:

doing on /boot/efi like bootctl --path=/boot/efi install is not duable since kernel are on /boot :slight_smile: also dont forget the ucode in the arch.conf

first plan to do in vm, just ended doing up doing right up in the system :slight_smile:
sure you have notice the risk but stil not finished but is working atleast… the standard Calamaris place a microsoft efi partition thing must be to EF00 but for dualbooters i cannot advice, since you got dualboot mayby is Refind mayby nicer since it got a interface :slight_smile: systemd-boot does not a have really a interface but is for me good :slight_smile:

edit : adding a kernel need also adding entry’s , but with bootctl update you can update the systemd-boot, but from aur i got a hook for systemd-boot…

1 Like