Systemd-boot alongside Grub2

I see it is not only me!
I read again the old thread and thought, the Grub issue happened at a certain stage when the Grub developers made a change to Grub that requires some action by the user to avoid it breaking.

I remember there was some other thread(s) where I believe I posted a hook I made w automatically handle this so Grub won’t break (I will try find and update this post). UPDATE: I found it here Grub Hook to grub-install and grub-mkconfig?

To be fair I have to say that I like the feeling of security with the old Grub that I can use the snapshot feature and boot from a previous snapshot, as well I like the simplicity and faster boot time of systemd-boot.

So, I see 2 solutions for this Grub issue:

• fork Grub from an old non problematic features done by Grub developers so it is the old Grub we used
  • use the hook I mentioned to be installed by default if the user chose Grub as a boot loader. Though I am sure EndeavourOS developers can make the hook better than what I did.

Maybe the systemd-boot developer notices such discussions and feature “requests” by users and add it to systemd-boot.

Booting from a previous working snapshot is actually a good feature especially for non techie users ( like me) and new comers to Linux and to Arch/Arch based distros.

I really hope some developer(s) consider the above 2 suggestions.

I have to be fair and state that it was not me who actually did the hook, I didn’t even know there was something like hooks. I did it with the help and guidance of all my friends here especially @dalto and @pebcak and others.

1 Like