System won't boot graphically with Kernel 5.2.14

I think sudo dkms autoinstall. Doe compile a new dkms package its weird yiu have to reinstall nvidia-dkms again and if you change base and udev hooks change to systemd, would it change te effect? After mkinitcpio -P ?

If you run nvidia as early? Would it change?

Have you tried the nvidia-installer-dkms or are you just installing nvidia-dkms?
Iā€™m not sure if you are on Endeavour repo. This is a package on Endeavour to install dkms for Nvidia.

I have installed /am constantly reinstalling the nvidia-dkms package from the arch repos, as I have only arch repos enabled on this system. I donā€™t understand why it works with 4.19 while I have to reinstall it every two boots on 5.3.1.

I just think there is some issue with the installed Nvidia drivers. I donā€™t have this problem on my system with nvidia-dkms. Have you tried reinstalling it from the 5.3.1 kernel once itā€™s working?

Did you already uninstall the following unwanted packages?

libxnvctrl-390xx
    opencl-nvidia-340xx
    xf86-video-nouveau

and do you have nouveau blacklisted? Note, there are many ways to blacklist a driver. If it is blacklisted, can you show us how?

Can you also please show the the output of

ls -la /etc/X11/xorg.xonf.d

and if there are any graphics related files, can you show their contents e.g. with command

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/"filename"

Update. The latest kernel update seems to have fixed it, havenā€™t had any problems with booting since it came in.
J.

After experiencing problems with graphical login under kernel 5.3 again, I searched for similar problems with kernel 5.3 , nvidia and sddm and found a solution on reddit, I had to add a delay to sddm, cause it seems to have been loaded too quickly so that the nvidia driver would not yet be in use when sddm started.
I created a file , /etc/systemd/system/sddm.service.d/override.conf with the following contents:

[Service]
ExecStartPre=/bin/sleep 1

I restarted my system approx 20 times now with Kernel 5.3.6 and it started fine everytime.
Problem finally solved.
J.

4 Likes

sounds legitā€¦ i do have some glitches too with nvidia and sddm starting plasmaā€¦

Just wondering why this doesnā€™t happen with kernel 4.19
J.

Arch devs are working on improvements for speed and boottime, so there are some big changes currentlyā€¦