System won't boot after grub

Hi all,

I think some update might have screwed my system up, as since the last one I am unable to get to a GUI. Its all fine until grub. After that, the screen starts turning on and off in rapid succession and, when its on, all I see is a blinking cursor. If I try to go to a TTY, it seems to go there, but jumps out of it after the next screen blink.

I have booted from the live iso and chrooted into the system and ran another update, which didn’t fix the issue.

Not sure what kind of info would be useful to add to this post, but will provide any and all requested.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. In the mean time I will continue to keep poking at it.

Perhaps looking at /var/log/pacman.log to see what got updated before you started having this issue, would give you some hint.

1 Like

Thanks!

It looks like its an issue with grub thinking the drive to load is SDA, but mine should be called nvme0n1p1, because… Well, because.

Any great way of changing that, my google fu is letting me down.

1 Like

Try the grub repair.

3 Likes

Get the same error I read in the pacman log.

Grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1. Check your device.map.

Could you post

sudo parted -l

efibootmgr -v

cat /etc/fstab

sudo blkid -o list

1 Like

sudo parted -l

Summary

[liveuser@eos-2020.05.08 ~]$ sudo parted -l
Warning: Unable to open /dev/sda read-write (Read-only file system). /dev/sda
has been opened read-only.
Model: USB2.0 FlashDisk (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 4094MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
2 84.0kB 67.2MB 67.1MB primary fat16 esp

Model: WDC WDS500G2B0C-00PXH0 (nvme)
Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 500GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 2097kB 317MB 315MB fat32 boot, esp
2 317MB 500GB 500GB ext4

efibootmgr -v

Summary

[liveuser@eos-2020.05.08 ~]$ efibootmgr -v
BootCurrent: 0003
Timeout: 1 seconds
BootOrder: 0003,0001,0000,0002
Boot0000* endeavouros HD(1,GPT,d1654d4e-0ad0-bb42-be03-cdee9037b4a3,0x1000,0x96000)/File(\EFI\ENDEAVOUROS\GRUBX64.EFI)
Boot0001* UEFI OS HD(1,GPT,d1654d4e-0ad0-bb42-be03-cdee9037b4a3,0x1000,0x96000)/File(\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI)…BO
Boot0002 UEFI: USB2.0 FlashDisk 1100 PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x14,0x0)/USB(2,0)/CDROM(1,0xa4,0x36d61c)…BO
Boot0003* UEFI: USB2.0 FlashDisk 1100, Partition 2 PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x14,0x0)/USB(2,0)/HD(2,MBR,0x561d0d2e,0xa4,0x20000)…BO

cat /etc/fstab

Summary

This gives no output at all

sudo blkid -o list

Summary

[liveuser@eos-2020.05.08 ~]$ sudo blkid -o list
device fs_type label mount point UUID

/dev/nvme0n1p1 vfat /mnt/boot/efi F4B4-A8F9
/dev/nvme0n1p2 ext4 /mnt 21ea9d17-5fa3-463d-9957-885ae44854d4
/dev/loop0 squashfs /run/archiso/sfs/airootfs
/dev/sda1 iso9660 ENDEAVOUROS (in use) 2020-05-07-23-30-22-00
/dev/sda2 vfat ARCHISO_EFI (in use) 6892-8272

1 Like
Grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1. Check your device.map.

You don’t need to bother about this. This is your live usb and the grub probes it as well for possible os installed in there.

I assume you are in the chroot environment. That is why cat /etc/fstab didn’'t give any out put since your systempartition is mounted at /mnt. I think cat /mnt/etc/fstab should give the output. But don’t bother.

I am not sure if this is an issue with grub or some of the packages that got updated. I assume as well that you ran sudo pacman -Syu as well in chroot.

At any rate while you are in chroot, you could follow the link posted by @ricklinux to reinstall grub.

Then you could rebuild your initramfs:

`sudo mkinitcpio -P`

followed by:

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

and

exit

Reboot and hold your breath!

edit— don’t forget to remove your live usb you while rebooting :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

All your assumptions above are correct. I did do the things you suggested, rebooted and was greeted with the following.

Now I am 100% sure I just caused this with something stupid I did while trying to fix it and am searching for a way to fix it. Reinstalling grub didn’t do it, that I tried.

God I feel like a tool. Should not have tinkered and just sat still and waited for people with more sense to come to my aid…

Alright, never mind that. I fixed it.

The original issue, flashing display and not loading desktop is still here.

Any more suggestions?

Looking at what got updated on my system thesepast couple of days, I find these:

xorg-server (1.20.10-1 -> 1.20.10-2)
xorg-server-common (1.20.10-1 -> 1.20.10-2)

I might be wrong, but these could potentially be suspects. Since every system is different, you could have a look at the packages in your system. Perhaps downgrading these could be a way to solution.

Could be something related to your graphics card. Please post inxi -Fxxxz for those good with these stuff to have alook.

Thank you for all the help so far. I downgraded both, but alas, no joy.

After the next reboot I’ll post the requested output. Currently considering a fresh install though.

1 Like

Sorry that the issue is still there. Post the output, perhaps someone can come up with something.
I’ll be heading to bed :sleeping:
Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks for your help! As we say in the Netherlands: “slaap lekker!”, which means something along the lines of have a good night.

2 Likes

Dank je!

1 Like

To anyone wanting to put some effort into this at this point, don’t. I just nuked my system. At least I have all files backed up and all my configs are on GitLab, so while this is not a solution, it will fix the issue (and create more work). I need this laptop working this week, so, shit as it may be, I’ll be doing a fresh install.

Thanks for all the effort @pebcak

1 Like

A little while in now, and I have to say that while having to set everything up again is a pain, I still seem to rather enjoy doing it. Not sure why.

2 Likes

It is better not to speculate on that too deeply - just extract the enjoyment that you can!

1 Like

I imagine this must be what doing heroin feels like. You know it’s not good for you, maybe even harmful, but it just feels so good…

1 Like

What was the desktop installed when the problems started? Are you installing the same? Just curious.