System hangs every now and then

Hello again wonderful people of this forum!

It’s been quite a while now since Plasma has updated to version 6, and I was waiting a while for it to iron out kinks from the sudden changes. But now, I still have issues: My PC just hangs randomly after some time of running it, maybe it’s RAM issues? but I have no idea how to diagnose it. All I have been doing thus far is to hold the power button and let the startup of the OS clean up orphaned inodes in the filesystem.

Please advise, and thank you in advance! :smiley:

Please post some journal logs showcasing the state of the system when the issue occurred. And post some hardware information as well.

along with the the information that anthony mentions, could also provide more details about when the freezes occur? what works and what doesnt(mouse, tty etc)? does it happen after a specific event? during an update? randomly? there could be different issues based on the nature of the freeze

1 Like

Ahhh, unfortunately I just found out that journalctl (or my current config of it) only saves until 12 days ago. Is there a way to find older journal logs not in journalctl?

output of inxi -Fz:

System:
  Kernel: 6.6.25-1-lts arch: x86_64 bits: 64
  Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 6.0.3 Distro: EndeavourOS
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 82H8 v: IdeaPad 3 15ITL6
    serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: LENOVO model: LNVNB161216 v: SDK0J40688 WIN
    serial: <superuser required> UEFI: LENOVO v: GGCN20WW date: 01/13/2021
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 26.7 Wh (70.4%) condition: 37.9/38.0 Wh (99.7%)
CPU:
  Info: quad core model: 11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 bits: 64 type: MT MCP
    cache: L2: 5 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 400 min/max: 400/4700 cores: 1: 400 2: 400 3: 400 4: 400
    5: 400 6: 400 7: 400 8: 400
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics] driver: i915 v: kernel
  Device-2: NVIDIA TU117M [GeForce MX450] driver: nvidia v: 550.67
  Device-3: Chicony Integrated Camera driver: uvcvideo type: USB
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.12 with: Xwayland v: 23.2.5 driver: X:
    loaded: modesetting,nvidia dri: iris gpu: i915 resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
  API: EGL v: 1.5 drivers: iris,nvidia,swrast
    platforms: gbm,x11,surfaceless,device
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6.0 compat-v: 4.5 vendor: intel mesa v: 24.0.4-arch1.2
    renderer: Mesa Intel Xe Graphics (TGL GT2)
  API: Vulkan v: 1.3.279 drivers: nvidia surfaces: xcb,xlib
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Audio
    driver: sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl
  API: ALSA v: k6.6.25-1-lts status: kernel-api
  Server-1: PipeWire v: 1.0.4 status: active
Network:
  Device-1: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 driver: iwlwifi
  IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Bluetooth:
  Device-1: Intel Bluetooth 9460/9560 Jefferson Peak (JfP) driver: btusb
    type: USB
  Report: btmgmt ID: hci0 rfk-id: 2 state: down bt-service: enabled,running
    rfk-block: hardware: no software: yes address: <filter> bt-v: 5.1
RAID:
  Hardware-1: Intel Volume Management Device NVMe RAID Controller driver: vmd
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 476.94 GiB used: 384.93 GiB (80.7%)
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Lenovo model: UMIS RPJTJ512MEE1OWX
    size: 476.94 GiB
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 143.13 GiB used: 70.57 GiB (49.3%) fs: ext4
    dev: /dev/nvme0n1p5
  ID-2: /boot/efi size: 256 MiB used: 33.5 MiB (13.1%) fs: vfat
    dev: /dev/nvme0n1p1
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: file size: 16 GiB used: 69.2 MiB (0.4%) file: /swapfile
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 53.0 C mobo: N/A
  Fan Speeds (rpm): N/A
Info:
  Memory: total: 8 GiB available: 7.56 GiB used: 5.09 GiB (67.3%)
  Processes: 288 Uptime: 12h 49m Shell: Zsh inxi: 3.3.33

Aside: just wondering, what might be best practices with journal when encountering this kind of error? Save outputs to a tempfile.txt, or edit some configuration for it?

For sure! Most of the time the whole system just freezes, nothing in the screen updates, so no cursor movement, and I’ve only found that holding down the power button changes the screen. (I haven’t tried any other possible shortcuts bringing up tty, if any)

So far it seems random and not correlated to updates or anything else. Sometimes as well, it’s just one specific app freezing, sometimes Firefox, sometimes VSCode, sometimes Discord.

Using quite a bit of RAM, no expert but I would be leaning towards this being the issue, I rarely use over 4gb even when creating large images.

Memory: total: 8 GiB available: 7.56 GiB used: 5.09 GiB (67.3%)

Hmm, I’m not sure either, but my usage has always been this high I think even before this became an issue.

When you boot into your system how much RAM is your system using? Like right now I have 4 tabs open on my browser, editing a file in GIMP and have dolphin open and using only 3.4gb. Like I said I’m no expert but I would be leaning towards this.

There is some kind of regression with this driver causing kernel memory corruption. This can cause crashes, hard freezes, or other issues. There is a related discussion in this thread here if you would like to take a look:

There don’t seem to be any super great options for dealing with this right now. You can downgrade the driver and associated packages, which may require switching kernels as well, or scrap the drivers altogether and run Nouveau for a while. Have a read through that thread and see what you think.

2 Likes

Nvidia strikes again :pensive:

Thanks so much for this! I think I will ride it out for now until I get sick of it eventually.

My OS boots up my last open sessions on startup, and right after it completes those (like 10ish browser tabs and a terminal), it uses 4.01 GB

But yeah, it’s most likely Nvidia that’s the culprit, from the looks of it.

1 Like

Yer I didn’t even think about that. Maybe besides the suggestion by @BluishHumility to try nouveau use a fresh session and see if this changes things