System does not boot after executing nvidia-config

Hi,

After reading something somewhere I’ve executed nvidia-config command with absolute no idea what am I doing. Now I cannot boot into EndeavourOS no more.

I have a dual-boot config EndeavourOS/Windows10 UEFI (Linux loader), and everything worked fine for months now.

Now, on boot, Linux loader is skipped and Windows is started automatically so I can’t access terminal or anything on Linux.

Obviously, I was stupid enough to execute nvidia-config that in turn changed some config files in a way that a system is rendered useless.

Is there a way to boot a Live Linux (Mint for example) and manually correct video config which I presume is corrupt, or there is any other action I can take to solve this problem?

System:
Lenovo ideapad Flex5
CPU: Intel Core i7
RAM: 16GB
SSD: 500GB
Graphics: Intel Iris Plus / NVIDIA GeForce MX330

Please help, any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Do you have the live ISO of EndeavourOS? You could boot on it.
Then run and post the output of:

efibootmgr

Hi ricklinux, thank you, here is a efibootmgr result:

BootCurrent: 001A
Timeout: 1 seconds
BootOrder: 001A,0001,0000,0015,0016,0017,0018,0019,0014,001B,001C
Boot0000* Windows Boot Manager
Boot0001* EndeavourOS
Boot0010 Setup
Boot0011 Boot Menu
Boot0012 Diagnostic Splash
Boot0013 Regulatory Information
Boot0014* USB FDD:
Boot0015* NVMe0: SAMSUNG MZALQ512HALU-000L2
Boot0016* NVMe1:
Boot0017* ATA NVMe0:
Boot0018* ATA NVMe1:
Boot0019* TG Optane:
Boot001A* USB HDD: SanDisk Ultra
Boot001B* USB CD:
Boot001C* USB LAN:

Try changing the boot order with
sudo efibootmgr -o 0001,0000

Edit: Is EndeavourOS installed on it’s own drive?

If EndeavourOS is installed on it’s own drive you can also just boot and enter the UEFI Bios screen and change the boot so that it is booting from the drive that EndeavourOS is installed on. Then save and exit .

Thank you, but none of the suggestions works.

Endeavour is on the separate partition and is listed in BIOS as one of the items in the
Boot priority order (first exactly). It is also listed while pressing F12 during boot to get
list of boot devices to choose from as is Windows Boot Manager and USB.

Whatever I do and whichever device I choose (except for the USB) it always falls back to windows
after some short period of time (10 to 15 seconds). While waiting for windows boot to come
up there is a black screen with no error or any message for that matter on the screen, just a
back-light.

Thanks

You’ll have to use the live ISO then and chroot into the system and then reinstall grub and update it.

Edit: Use the UEFI version instructions. Then you’ll need to reinstall grub and update it.

Once you chroot then you can run

os-prober

It should find Windows

Then

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Then reinstall grub

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=EndeavourOS-grub
2 Likes

reinstalling the grub files into ESP will also update the Firmware entries for that device. So you should have it again working also over F12 boot menu from firmware

Thank you very much for your assistance. I don’t think I would have enough patience and knowledge to get to the solution all by my self.

Now you know how to chroot. Now you know how to reinstall grub. Now you know how to update grub. Now you know a little more about UEFI Bios. Glad it’s working for you. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.