System-boot 3 "little" issue compared to Grub

Hi EndeavourOs Users, (sorry for my english i’m Italian) I’m new of EOS but not new in terms of linux distros (but I am a simple user not a tech with knowledge in programming). I install EOS in default mode so with System-boot instead of Grub on my laptop (only EOS on it, no dual boot )and now I have some questions regarding this system-boot:

• come from Garuda that use BTRFS and snapshot available on boot if needed, there is not a way to get the same, I know on system-boot i can’t do the same thing, there are some possibility in near future that system-boot will add snapshot on boot entries?
  • I want change boot delay time from default 5 seconds to 1 second, this is possible without change this setting everytime kernels updating?
  • I can install a second linux distro but only if it use system-boot too, excluding arch derivates wich distros are using it?
  • related to previously question …EFI partition is 1 GB large as default and this because kernels on system-boot are stored on efi partition, at the monent I installed 2 kernels (regular and LTS), if I install another distro with 2 kernels probably EFI partition bicome full right? So in this case is better if I enlarge the EFI from 1 to 2 GB
    Many thanks !!!

Not likely unless someone does a lot of development. The issue isn’t adding the boot entries, it is the fact that the kernel and boot images aren’t in the snapshots.

You can change it to whatever you want. It won’t change when kernels update. You can change it in /efi/loader/loader.conf

That isn’t true. systemd-boot can easily boot the boot manager from the other distro.

I don’t have a comprehensive list. Off the top of my head, Solus, PopOS and Clean linux I think are all using it.

It depends, in most cases 1GB is plenty big for two distros unless your boot images are huge.

1 Like

Thanks dalto, so if I change /efi/locader/loader.conf one time I don’t need to change it everytime kernel is updating alias every week right?
Another question:

• if I install GRUB version EOS, now it is using Dracut and if I’m right dracut too does’nt allow grub entries for snapshot so even reinstalling EOS from scratch will not solve, no entries too right.

Not a good plethora os distros SOLUS no update , hope it’s just a moment and will come back in near future but seem “a dead men walking”, Clear is for intell and I use AMD SoC, so my only choice will be Pop but at the moment I’m happy with EOS so don’t need a second distro

Correct. Although there is a typo there that I fixed above.

No, it will support grub-btrfs as long as you configure it. By default the snapshots will be read-only though which may cause issues depending on which DM you use. You can fix that with one small change to a file though.

Two things:

• That was not a comprehensive list, just off the top of my head
  • Like I said, it doesn’t matter that much as you can easily access the other bootloader from systemd-boot.

Of course, we provide both options so if you prefer grub there is no reason not to use that instead. Booting off snapshots is one of the situations in which we recommend grub.

When you said “it doesn’t matter that much as you can easily access the other bootloader from systemd-boot” you means another distro using System-boot, in this case System-boot handle the 2 distro perfectly, better than grub.
the list just off of the top of your head is correct, I was searching and at the moment only arch and derivates + SolUS + POP seems supporting it, hope il will change soon.
Exactly as you said, sorry for all my questions but been a new install I need thinking is is the case of reinstall from scratch using Grum, better now than nex year with a tons of application and setting … but I’m lazzy so probably I stay with system-boot even if is a risck in some case without snapshot at boot.
But in August when there was the famous GRUB issue, my Garuda snapshot doesn’t save me, it was a disaster

No, I mean any distro. For example, if a distro uses grub, so can easily add that distros grub to the systemd-boot menu.

2 Likes

ahh ok understood :+1: