Switching to EOS, what configs or files can I keep?

Can you show them too?

Definitely.

firewalld-sysctls.conf contains

install nf_conntrack /usr/bin/modprobe --ignore-install nf_conntrack $CMDLINE_OPTS && /sbin/sysctl --quiet -->

vfio.conf contains

options vfio-pci ids=10de:13c2,10de:0fbb

Thanks.
Those seem Manjaro settings for firewalld and Nvidia, AFAICT.

I’m not familiar with the firewalld-sysctls.conf but I can confirm vfio.conf is used for the GTX 970 in my system.
I created that file to pass-through the 970 for my virtual machines.

So you just need to try and see what happens… :wink:

And don’t hesitate to ask if there are any problems.

Depending on your disk space, you could also make a dual boot with Manjaro and decide later which of them to keep, if not both.

1 Like

Just copying over all the dotfiles and config is not a good idea. Not only will you copy over a bunch of rubbish you don’t need, but some settings might not be compatible between two installs causing problems that are rather difficult to troubleshoot.

The way I would do it is this:

1. Make another backup copy of the /home directory, in its entirety, making sure hidden files and directories are included, preferably to an external drive. An extra backup won’t hurt, but the real thing we are backing up here are the config files. Also, make a copy of /etc.
  2. Do a clean install of EndeavourOS.
  3. Copy only the dotfiles you absolutely need from the backup to the new install. For example, if you have a nice .bashrc you’ve worked on for years, copy that.
  4. During the next few months, as the need arises, install new software. Consult the backup for settings if you get stuck configuring something. Copy only application-specific config, don’t just copy everything over. The less you can get away with, the better.
5 Likes

This sounds like the best way to do it.

I have backed everything up in /home besides the steam library that’s installed there.

/etc and .zshrchave also been backed up.
I’ll use anything contained in those directories as reference when setting up my fresh install.
Thank you very much for the advice!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.