Switch to EndeavourOS?

I use this distro now for 2 weeks and can say that in this time i had no problems in this time. Its stable had no errors and my software runs great (mainly games). And i am not an long time Linux user i switched 2015 after win 10 came out to Linux so i think its easy to use. I think its not an OS there you must an pro or something. I used the Terminal a lot more in Mint as here.
Before i was on Mint and i think it was okay but lot of software that i use was not in the repos or old and had to add ppas. The ppas breaking often for me so i had to remove them and add them new.
For me why i switched to arch was the software and i build my system self and had not an system where i after the install deinstall all the software i don’t use. Windows is horrible from that point in my eyes.

1 Like

You didn’t say anything offensive?

And I don’t care what word you use.

Enjoy the _________________(insert here):

Simplicity. Minimal bloat. Conciseness. Basic. Ordinary. Lack of excess. Promptness. Matter of factly. Straight to the point. Without extra. No frills. Necessary functions. Without bonus. Non expansive. . . . . And more.

1 Like

EndeavourOS is a great distro. With things like there community and update notifier they do a great work.

Although I personally did just a vanilla arch install in stead of a EndeavourOS install, I still use there update notifier

I’ve been using linux for more than a decade now, started out with OpenSuSE, companies I worked for insisted on Ubuntu, Fedora etc, but IMHO they were distros that are allegedly more stable but more bloated and “behind” the “latest greatest” versions.
Fortunately I now work for a more enlightened company, and am free to use whatever distro I choose, so EndeavourOS 24/7 it is!
There is a price we pay for using Arch (latest + greatest) in that sometimes things go wrong.
But the wonderful thing is if you can look for answers here, or ask the question here, someone will help you fix it.
My personal experience has been one of great stability except for occasional issues with the nvidia drivers. That is partly my fault as I insist on using a cheap graphics card I bought ages ago.
One of the great strengths of EndeavourOS is the team and the community as is evident on this forum.
Hope you enjoy your journey here.

2 Likes

Try bigger updates 2 to 3 times a week NOT a month. It is the main reason why I am installing EOS on my roommates machine and ultimately removing Manjaro, that and the stability of EOS vs Manjaro.

2 Likes

Welcome To kiss + add your own choices :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can update monthly if you want. I usually only update once maybe twice a month. I ended up super busy end then had vacation and my home computer went almost 7 weeks. Updates went thru with no issue.

I figure honestly once or twice a month for anyone should be fine. The best part of Arch is you can update several times a day if you want. That freedom is unparalleled outside of Arch. And I love it.

Also, just to note, if you want more updates on Manjaro, you should switch to unstable branch. It’s much closer to Arch, and packages aren’t held back.

2 Likes

Really? It was not a matter of how often one chooses to update, but rather correcting a statement about how often large updates get pushed by Manjaro. That said under Manjaro because of this I ignored updates till the end of the week. EOS I do once a day cause the amount is so little in comparison.

@anon83136962 - it seems you might be using Manjaro Testing? Manjaro Stable tends to get large updates about twice a month, while Testing gets several updates a week…

7 Likes

OK I totally forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me.

1 Like

That’s why I stopped using MJ over a year back as I already had a few Arch installs. Easy to notice the difference between the two. EOS has done a great job here.

3 Likes

Manjaro got 4 repos , unstable testing staging stable , staging is to protect stable but is just what you want, windows update is also big :slight_smile:

unstable is a bit of arch but there are also lot git packages from different sources when new desktops arive… thats why Manjaro is a different beast…

Endeavouros is just make Arch usable rest is in your own hands.

2 Likes

I guess the point I was trying to make is that updating frequency isn’t nearly as important as so many seem to make it out to be.

I wouldn’t have switched from Manjaro to Endeavor just to update more often.

4 Likes

I think the best way to put this is we each have our own reasons for how we update and how often we do updates. It’s simply whatever works for the particular person and what they are comfortable with. As long as one is using the right tools (either command line, gui, or a combination there of) the rest really doesn’t matter.

2 Likes

No. I used Manjaro for several years before moving to EndeavourOS. My initial driver for Manjaro was indeed stability. But I experienced several stability glitches with manajro which I did not see on Arch (I had a playground on virtualbox). So I would say that Manjaro has no stability advantage.

But Manjaro has other advantages for beginners. And that is the extra tools like hardware recognition etc. If you want to run Arch Linux you need to configure several things on your own while Manjaro is doing this for you with tools.

It is hard to recommend anything for you but I would say: Stay with Manjaro for the time being and install EndeavourOS in a virtualbox. This helps you to become familiar with Arch Linux without risking anything.

7 Likes

I also agree with this. You would get familiar with Arch in the meantime and will know when you are ready to do the switch.

1 Like

Everyone has their own idea of what would be perfect for them. If you’re just starting out in the Linux world, I’d say, try as much as you can. Different OSes, different window or desktop managers, try as much as you can. You’ll soon hone into what you like, or at the very least, you’ll learn what you dislike. I feel that when you found your os camp, whether Debian, arch, or other, after that… You’ll find your window or desktop manager. After you found that, the os does not matter as much. Pick something you feel comfortable with and something that supports stuff you care about. It that’d be Endeavour OS, great. Welcome abourd. If not? Great! Welcome to the diverse community that is Linux!

3 Likes

So guys, I decided today to make a switch to endeavour…
But something odd happend to me… I used same iso that I used on old laptop(couple of days ago) and works there great…
I’m not sure where is problem…
I have laptop with Ryzen CPU and hybrid graphics(AMD/Nvidia), but I already change settings in bios to use only Nvidia, because on the other hand I can’t use my external monitor…

So I choose everything as I’m using nvidia card. I choose nonfree driver, than in instalation process I chose Base devel + KDE + nvidia drivers…

And it boot system, but everything is “too big”, same problem I had on Manjaro also, it seems like scaling is bigger than default, and on old laptop everything looks great, even on old laptop resolution is 1600:900 and on new is 1920:1080…

And I had problems, I tried 2 themes(McMojave and White Sur dark), they work great on old laptop, on new icons not working etc.

is that problem with drivers or something else?

Later I tried to make new instalation without nvidia drivers but got error unable to write on boot/efi, something like that…
Now I’m not at home…

But if someone can help me, first how to setup manual partitioning(because now I can’t chose erase disk), I have 512gb SSD and 16gb RAM so that I can try later

And also do you know why I have this problem with “too big” borders, panel, widget in panel, applications menu and everything in Endeavour and Manjaro also?
On live usb everything looks good, but after installation I have feeling that there is resolution 1300:400 and not FHD(but in settings resolution is correct)

check the “global scaling” option in KDE’s display settings page.

and check the nvidia drivers for overscan or stuff like that.

1 Like

Nope, global scalling is first thing that I checked, I had same problem on Manjaro, but I thought that’s “normal”, but now I see it’s not…
And if you can write mi how to check nvidia drivers for endeavour or give me link with tutorial, on Manjaro I used mhwd so I’m not sure on commands also on endeavour…