Sway Edition - General Conversation!

Thanks!
Then if you have any of those working terminals installed, EOS apps will use that.
You may of course specify which of them to use in file eos-script-lib-yad.conf, variable EOS_YAD_TERMINAL.

1 Like

i try more tomorrow … i no wish to offend you @manuel i no use it :pray: . i think it great it there for new users …

Sway does support xdg. I think I know the problem. YAD has to launched over x11…if you don’t do anything it’ll do it automatically but maybe if we set the env to force Yad to launch over x11 in the first place it might speed up the process. I will see tomorrow. Thank you for your help!

First, Thank You for whatever you did to make welcome recognize Sway as a valid DE / WM. Also thanks for adding Alacritty to the recognized terminals in Welcome.

So, alacritty and welcome works for x86_64 now. The problem is, so far we have not got alacritty itself to work on RPi 4b. When an attempt is made to launch alacritty, absolutely nothing happens.

Hope that clears up the welcome situation. Thanks again for your help on this.

No.
That is interesting, maybe the ownership or permissions I have on lightdm-background.png
preserves it? I will look into that.

Pudge

1 Like

You’ll need to add xfce4-terminal and termite to the pkglist for sway. Thank you!

1 Like
hide_search=true
hide_scroll=true
width=1
show=dmenu
lines=5
location=centre
x=870
y=455

work on my …

3 Likes

Works’s perfectly! Thank You! One more thing done!

1 Like

PipeWire 0.3.21 is now in Extra !

A few nice changes bringing us closer to when we’ll eventually use it!

• BT volume level state is now remembered
  • Auto setting the default output sink when connecting BT headphones is working and the running audio streams are automatically moved to it.
  • The default volume level of BT devices is no longer 100%. I mean when connecting new devices as it’s also being remembered now.
  • The three above means you don’t need to script around the limitations of the previous versions, like the system systemd user udev rule that I linked previously.
  • Switching back and forth between A2DP to HFP or HSP profiles is finally working correctly for me and it also restores the volume. The most related bug report is still open though, so I’m not sure if completely resolved.
  • A2DP codecs are now listed as different profiles that can be selected.
  • A mostly mpv specific issue that outputs noise when seeking, is almost resolved.
    You can avoid it altogether by adding --audio-stream-silence=yes mpv option.
    In the past, I was able to replicate it with Firefox but not anymore. If anyone else replicating it with a non-mpv/libmpv app then please post in the bug report.
  • There’s mSBC support that apparently improves a little the audio quality with the HFP profile (not sure if applied to HSP) but IIUC you need to wait for this kernel fix and correct me if I’m wrong but that’s not coming before 5.12 unless is being backported.

And there’s a full list of changes here.

If you’ve been thinking about switching this would probably the right release!

https://www.reddit.com/user/robo_muse/comments/lc626p/pipewire_0321_is_now_in_extra/

3 Likes

@joekamprad I see on the new i3 edition there’s your “yad” keybindings app…is that released or is it just in the screeenshot?

i can create one for sway if you want:

it is this a simple script

1 Like

Nice! I’ll mostly be wrting a WIKI and documenting the keybings for a bit…I wondering that the software (if i can call it that) that you are using for i3 is just a text file that pops up…if the user wants the whole list?

1 Like

yes the full list is a textfile… could be also a picture, but textfile can be edited from the user

2 Likes

While we can’t provide in these edition, I thought these applications could be something one could could use to improve their sway life!

• nwg-launchers - Launchers written in c++ or python with the first being more maintained. They can act a macOS style launchpad, dmenu and a power-menu. Both available in AUR - maintained by the guy who developed it.

• nwg-bar- A XFCE/LXDE style panel themes from GTK3 - with a gui being developed - early acess not yet availabe in the AUR.

• autotiling - usable with i3 as well (Available in the AUR)

• azote - a graphical backend to swaybg (Available in the AUR)

everything above is being developed by one guy!

oguri - allows you to use both static images and gifs as wallpaper (Available in the AUR)

wdisplays - GUI alternative to xrandr (Available in the AUR)

https://github.com/cyclopsian/wdisplays

foot - a terminal built soley for wayland - as in it won’t work on x11 (Available in the AUR)

Display Mangers!
There is only one wayland-native DM in the official repo and that is GDM - unfortunately installing it brings with it half of GNOME

Alternatives
GREETD with WLGREET

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Greetd#gtkgreet

LY

• Will run wayland native too

These are just some stuff that is not on the sway wiki that some people might like!

1 Like

@OdiousImp :pray: for post … it interesting that panel in tiling WM insane in my eye ( that just my opinion) we all different i think …look like read lots i have … :pray: once again :+1:

1 Like

i do just start a testing install again with the setup.sh and packages list to check if it is working, by implementing them into installer.
http://ix.io/2OMr (install log)
2021-02-08_22-47

lightdm fails to start I do not find why, you know ?

1 Like

we can talk about adding packages from AUR to the repo if really needed (i say that?)

1 Like

No no! These are not nessecities! Its just wayland apps arent as well known so I thougbt it might be helpful.

I fully understand the reasons for not! Perhaps maybe a DM tho…the guys at bspwm would like that too. Just something with not too many depencies but also a DM that can run wayland native…

I repeat… these are just stuff that can improve your experience! I didnt mean at all to suggest them in our edition because like you said all we want to offer is a easy way to inroduce people to WM…

Something like ly??

I dont start lightdm in the setup script…I thought was done by the installer.

What is the status of lightdm.service?