Swapping out AMD Gpu for Nvidia Gpu

Hi I just picked up an rtx 3060 and I currently have an amd gpu in my system running Eos, the last time I tried doing something like this I ended up having to reinstall eos, So I am hoping there is a better way. I am running plasma X11 (not wayland). Where would I start.

From what Joe told me I need to likely remove the settings for the gpu from boot and may xorg.conf.d conf files… and may initramfs have some …

I am a little lost, does anyone have any suggestion on how to do this. I know if I mess up I will likely need to fix it by chrooting. I just want to be as prepared as possible.

check these files and folders for anything you setup for the AMD GPU:
grub?
/etc/default/grub → GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=

systemd-boot?
/etc/kernel/cmdline

mkinitcpio?
/etc/mkiniotcpio.conf
run sudo mkinitcpio -P if something needs to be removed there

dracut?
/etc/dracut.conf.d/
run sudo dracut-rebuild if you need to…

And for Xorg:
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ could have config related to the card in use…

The part ni am not sure is about nvidia drivers as it could be you need them to be able to start with the rtx 3060 but as this shows it it should work without the need to preinstall nvidia drivers.

https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/CodeNames.html

1 Like

Ok that makes a lot of sense, Only thing I am worried about is I am unsure if I even have any nvidia driver installed on my system at all, trying to find out, I guess worse case I can just chroot in from the iso and install it afterwards.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet resume=UUID=71ed7e80-acdd-427f-a6c8-50ea59ab310b loglevel=3 nowatchdog nvme_load=YES usbcore.autosuspend=-1”

is what I found in grub

I think I am just going to try switching it out and see what happens now

yes you can still switch it back …

1 Like

or chroot in of cause … but it should boot on nouveau… also I see that the modesetting drive inside kernel can be an issue in cases you need xf86-video-nouveau to be installed.

1 Like

As you already know it worked with no issue, then I installed the proprietary nvidia driver. Thanks for all your help!