Sudo password doesn't work for anything other than su

I apologize if this has been answered before, but I’m new to EndeavourOS(just installed it an hour and a half ago) and my sudo password doesn’t work. It doesn’t work for GUI or terminal. I can use it when running su, but that’s about it. I tried restarting my system a few times, but that did nothing. Can anyone help?

I should also note that I’m using separate passwords for login and for root

Welcome to the forum! :smile:

Sounds strange. Can you show some detailed examples of your commands and the output?

The password for sudo is your login password, not the root password.

1 Like

Thanks!

And I’ll try to explain as best as I can.

When I type for instance $sudo pacman -Syu, it gives me the standard “We trust you have received the usual lecture from your Local System Administrator…” message that you get after installing a system. I type the password in and it says “Sorry. Try again”. Repeat two more times and it cancels the command because you “got it wrong” three times.

When I use the same password to login as root using the su command, it works. It’s not giving me any error messages or anything. It just thinks that the password I’m using when i use sudo is wrong when it isn’t.

To be clear, su uses the root password and sudo uses your login password.

Ok that actually did work. I thought I set the password to be different, but idk. Thanks for your help :smiley:

1 Like

Ok that makes sense. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.