Stuck in TTY

once I enter the start command, it just goes back to a black screen with a blinking cursor at the top left

Which kernel does it boot on and show the nvidia drivers as loaded?

stable

edit: “stable” meaning LTS

Okay in the log you showed that i don’t see ibt=off

Kernel: 5.15.55-1-lts arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 12.1.0
    parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-linux-lts root=UUID=43cab7c8-fac5-4ead-8538-2cbbe3d8a308
    rw resume=UUID=92841282-6cc4-48ed-8453-f44afa6fcc52 loglevel=3 nowatchdog nvme_load=YES
    nvidia-drm.modeset=1

Can you boot into the lts kernel and confirm with

cat /etc/default/grub | eos-sendlog

It’s possible the number is wrong in the conf file (seems auto created, by optimus mgr?)
Try changing it to

BusID     "PCI:0:2:0"

If it still fails, you may try disabling DRI. Because you are using modesetting for Intel, it seems you need an environment variable (probably added to /etc/environment)

LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE=1

Before trying anything else, look for a cleaning option in Optimus Mgr utility. Check manuals and Upstream support.

Because there are several errors relevant to this, it maybe a bug or bad usage(?), so you should contact their support.

(acpi_call missing, HW address assigning errors)

Can you confirm that you have read usage instructions before enabling optimus mgr?

The hardware output shows DP-4 bus-ID: 0000:00:02.0 :man_shrugging:

my bad. i was in the lts kernel until now. I am now in 5.18xx and this is the grub output from there:
https://clbin.com/HELZu

and this is the new inxi -Faz output:
https://clbin.com/aRUGj
as you can see, the driver shows up.

and yes, still in tty :wink:

Console: tty 2 DM: 1: GDM v: 42.0 note: stopped 2: LightDM v: 1.30.0 Distro: EndeavourOS
base: Arch Linux

Do you have two Display Managers installed?
This might be the issue if they conflict.
Check which one is enabled and running.

I had asked which display manager was installed? Seems the OP has tried more than one.

lightdm indeed. Ill remove the others. quite sure gnomes’ was installed by default? perhaps not.

did you mean “PCI:0:0:2:0:” ? that is what it was at. i tried yours there but to no avail.

im not sure what you mean about the

LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE=1

mind. ill check The optimus mgr now

That’s an environmental value. See the wiki here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/intel_graphics#DRI3_issues

Not by default on Xfce.
The default DM used by EnOS for Xfce is lightdm.
Just for checking:

systemctl status lightdm

i do not see issue if multiple DMs are installed there can only be one enabled.

i would recommend to reset to defaults on the driver install … like removing nvidia drivers and move all settings to backup and try to get x running with intel GPU.
Default on optimus systems when Nvidia Driver is installed and modest DRM is enabled (nvidia-drm.modeset=1) it will boot on intel GPU used and you can switch manually to enable Nvidia GPU …

1 Like

Check lightdm conf files for a setting like display Xsetup command (can’t remember the exact name).
Like utilities add a script to handle optimus changes.
Also check for dropins, in /etc/lightdm.conf.d/ (or similar folder).

As I said, unless there was a PEBKAC issue, it might be a bug in optimus-manager, or nvidia.

It might help if you could remember what system changes you had done, before this started.

I honestly don’t think it’s a bug. :thinking:

Why do you exclude this being a bug? I just said possible for the record. Do you think it’s a PEBKAC and where/how exactly?

Black screen with blinking cursor at top right, is an Xorg/video drivers crash.
Optimus-mgr is full of scripts and acpi_call is used to communicate with HW, while there was an error message about acpi_call missing.

The system needs clean-up from any video config modifier (like optimus-mgr), which IIRC includes some cleanup options.
I know zero about EnOS relevant scripts, if they can clean every (also from others…) config/driver. Sorry… :person_shrugging:

I know less about stuff than you but i just think that it is typical. Users don’t know how to get it working and they try things. Things get messed up. It’s just what happens. Could it be a bug? Sure. I’ve had some success at helping users getting hybrid graphics working but not every time. I usually like to start from scratch where i know nothing has been tainted. For me i just try to follow the Wiki and my own experience. Doesn’t always work out though. I’m not that talented. :laughing:

1 Like

thank you all. I have tried and tried and simply nothing works.
I’m burning another EOS stick now, and with a clean install, will be SUPER careful to note what exactly I do.
In fact, when trouble shooting this darn’d laptop, I might even just add my bash history until everything is in the clear.
Without a doubt, I shall be back on the fourms soon…
Won’t give up on EOS :fist:

1 Like