Stop grub showing on boot

Hi folks,
I’ve finally found my Linux spiritual home and that is EndeavourOS, it’s great.
I’m quite new to Linux but until recently I was using Manjaro KDE so I’m not used to seeing this (see picture) at boot time.
My question is how do I get a clean boot straight in to EOS without seeing other screens or text first? I’m not running any other OS on my PC so really don’t need the option to choose.

https://i.imgur.com/9g4ut1z.jpg

Look into
/etc/default/grub
and see if you can set
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
and/or
GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
Regenerate grub afterwards
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
and reboot.

If you need to bring up Grub boot menu, you could do that by pressing Esc (or shift sometimes) when you power up your machine.

HTH

Thank you, I’ll try this now. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Worked perfectly, thank you so much. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This, in my opinion, is not the best idea. You’ll be in some trouble if you have to change boot parameters (e.g. after an update that causes issues). I personally would set it to min. 1 second. Enough time to react and enter grub editor.

1 Like

:point_up_2:t5:

1 Like

Okay, I’ll keep this in mind.

1 Like

And welcome to EnOS community!

1 Like

I also have my grub timeout set to zero, and I’ve never been able to get it to catch with shift or whatever. So, just beware you may have a tough time catching it. For most people I would suggest keeping the timeout=1. But, as all things Arch, it’s your system, do as you please.

I basically always use the linux-lts kernel. IF for some reason I do need to change kernels - I can chroot in and edit/update grub and then I can find my way into another kernel.

2 Likes

Thanks, really enjoying it!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.