Steam (Proton) games launching to black screen after system update

Alright, now we are getting somewhere!

So I am asking this before waddling my way over to duckduckgo, but is it possible to put wildcards in the default field? Or even regex? Trying to think of a way to automate this so I don’t have to change the default after every update.

Thinking something along the lines of *arch1-1. Can’t use *arch* because then would match on both the arch1-1 and arch1-1-fallback

Also, to revisit a fix that would most likely work in my case, how do you all suggest uninstalling the LTS kernel?

WARNING TO THOSE LOOKING FOR ANSWERS: do not just copy-past the following code into your term and press enter - you could screw up your install or worse!

I generally use pacman -Rsc linux-lts but I am unsure how safe it is (most likely very unsafe)

sudo pacman -Rns linux-lts linux-lts-headers

To Summarize:

Issue in this case could be traced to two very different causes:

  1. System booting into LTS Kernel after game was played on Non-LTS, possibly corrupting/causing issue with shaders.
  2. Interference caused by OpenRGB (plugins?) that prevented the game from rendering.

More investigation will have to be done. But for now the quick fixes:

  1. Remove the LTS kernel if you don’t need it. albersc2’s post on how to do that.
  2. Close OpenRGB when gaming.

If you look carefully at your original loader.conf, it contains a wildcard for the default entry (based on the machine ID). I believe that will grab the first entry in alphabetical order after getting the list from the wildcard.